Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Draft Needs?

Default Draft Needs?

Hello, I'm actually a Jaguars fan in need of some info... over on Jaguars.com we are doing a mock draft and I've chosen to represent the Chiefs (second favorite team!). Anyway, I haven't really found a board that all the chiefs fans go to, but this one seemed active enough (posts today :))

Anyway, what needs do you think the chiefs really have? From what I know... maybe a WR, defense (front seven to account for allen possibly leaving), anything else? Is there a player you feel is being targeted? Would the chiefs office make any sort of trade up or down to get a targeted player(s)? Any help is greatly appreciated, and I'll come back to update you guys with the results of the draft if you'd like.

p.s. The draft isn't happening until tuesday to account for most of the FA period, so I'll be visiting here between now and then to get your guys' take on FA happenings. Of course we can adjust our draft strategy accordingly :)

OT; DT; WR. In that order.
    How many rounds will you be simulating?

Quote Originally Posted by jagsrep View Post
    Hello, I'm actually a Jaguars fan in need of some info... over on Jaguars.com we are doing a mock draft and I've chosen to represent the Chiefs (second favorite team!). Anyway, I haven't really found a board that all the chiefs fans go to, but this one seemed active enough (posts today :))

Anyway, what needs do you think the chiefs really have? From what I know... maybe a WR, defense (front seven to account for allen possibly leaving), anything else? Is there a player you feel is being targeted? Would the chiefs office make any sort of trade up or down to get a targeted player(s)? Any help is greatly appreciated, and I'll come back to update you guys with the results of the draft if you'd like.
    While I would like to believe that the Chiefs will be making some moves, either up, or down the draft board, I have never seen them get creative with
    trades. I see them drafting an Offensive tackle in the first round. Provided there is a semi-reasonable choice available, at that point. If not, (And I hate to say this.) they will, likely take a wideout.

In the second round, they will, probably look for a decent defensive tackle. If you go any deeper than the second round, the teams lesser needs would be at...... linebacker, cornerback and kicker. (maybe.)

At least, that's my view of it. That could change dramatically, with the prospective losses, and gains, through free-agency.

Welcome aboard jagsrep!

One word: "O-line!" I think that if we were to negotiate a trade in the draft it would be for an O-lineman.

Some initial thoughts on these first responses:

So OT only or if a good G fell... say Grubbs was there and Levi Brown were gone, would you want the guard or a receiver?

As far as receivers, my research (granted, a small amount) has shown Dwayne Bowe as a good WR prospect that will likely be available... along with a few other receivers (Ginn Jr, Meachem, Jarrett). I feel Bowe will be a better fit in the KC offense (especially if Huard ends up playing the majority of snaps at QB) since he's a great possession receiver, and is very physical. This will help maximize LJ's effectiveness once he gets to the second level, which he does often.

Would a DL in round 1 be a reach for the Chiefs? If not that opens up another option for me.

As far as trades... it sounds as if the Chiefs and the Jaguars FO have the same philosophy: conservative. To account for this I won't pursue any trades, but will listen to any offers and consult with you all here, and of course the draft value chart :)

As far as how many rounds we're drafting I'm not sure, but I'll prepare for the first 2 right now.

Any additional thoughts?

So OT only or if a good G fell... say Grubbs was there and Levi Brown were gone, would you want the guard or a receiver?

As far as receivers, my research (granted, a small amount) has shown Dwayne Bowe as a good WR prospect that will likely be available... along with a few other receivers (Ginn Jr, Meachem, Jarrett). I feel Bowe will be a better fit in the KC offense (especially if Huard ends up playing the majority of snaps at QB) since he's a great possession receiver, and is very physical. This will help maximize LJ's effectiveness once he gets to the second level, which he does often.

Would a DL in round 1 be a reach for the Chiefs? If not that opens up another option for me.

As far as trades... it sounds as if the Chiefs and the Jaguars FO have the same philosophy: conservative. To account for this I won't pursue any trades, but will listen to any offers and consult with you all here, and of course the draft value chart :)

As far as how many rounds we're drafting I'm not sure, but I'll prepare for the first 2 right now.

Any additional thoughts?
    Possibly not; for sure you'll want to wait and see what, if any, FA acquisitions we pick up before settling on first and second round draft needs.

Any additional thoughts?
    In my opinion, defensive tackle would be a wiser choice than a wideout. That depends, of course, on what is available, as of the 23rd selection. While it is a popular idea, amongst mock drafters, I sincerely doubt the Chiefs go widout in the first round. As prolific as the passing game was, for several seasons, for the Chiefs, I think the team realizes that Eddie Kennison and Tony Gonzales are a solid pair of recievers.

Few have noticed that the Chiefs stand to lose three of their top four defensive tackles, to free agency. The other one is Ryan Sims.

Also, I think that they will be looking to find a bargain reciever, in the second round. If a Sidney Rice, Anthony Gonzales, or one of the other, better known, guys fall that far.

First and foremost, though, I would think they search for the best deal at offensive tackle. I would hesitate to say they draft a guard, before the third round, though. The Chiefs' roster is full of guards who have been playing the tackle positions.

Just my two cents.

Sims can go IMO; he's been a big FAT bust.

The Chiefs have addressed the issue at left tackle. That increases the chances of a first round wideout. Defensive tackle is still the biggest hole, on the roster.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast