Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: What Will Happen with Alex Smith?

Default What Will Happen with Alex Smith?

The fact that Alex Smith has not already been signed to an extension can only mean that the Chiefs are keeping their options open heading into the draft. The Chiefs brought in Tyler Bray (arguably the QB with the most upside from the 2013 draft class) as an UDFA who has already shown some nice promise. The 2014 draft looks loaded with QB talent. If there is a QB the Chiefs think could be their franchise future there at #23, don't be shocked to see them pull the trigger. They replaced the second most important position on the team last season with their first pick... why wouldn't they do the same thing with their first pick this season?

The whole decision of whether or not to draft a QB will come down to what they truly think of Tyler Bray... NOT Alex Smith. I think Smith has priced himself out of KC. Even though the Chiefs are coming off a playoff season, it feels a lot more like the playoff season Edwards led Vermeil's Chiefs to rather than a sign of things to come. The Chiefs have maxed out their cap space and have gotten worse in doing so. This team will be facing some tough decisions in the next few seasons that will probably see Eric Berry, Tamba Hali, Derrick Johnson, Jamaal Charles, Dwayne Bowe, and Brandon Flowers among others leave the team. If those guys leave, it won't be so they can afford a guy like Alex Smith.

Also consider that the Chiefs will be stock-piling picks for the 2015 draft. They will start with 7 and will probably get at least another 3 as compensatory picks from losing Albert, McCluster, a pair of starting OGs, and Tyson Jackson. Going with a 2nd or 3rd year QB in the form of this year's QB taken in the draft or Bray from last year will allow the Chiefs to get ANOTHER compensatory pick in 2016 by letting Smith walk. Smith won't be the only high-profile player to leave, either. I would expect some big names to either get traded this season with 2 seasons left before free agency, or next year when they still have 1 season of team control left.

You may disagree with me and not believe that this team is about to go through a major overhaul, but do you really think John Dorsey and Andy Reid are going to let their their collective futures in KC be decided by and aging roster that they didn't select? Doubtful. If the front office thinks they can get/or have their QBOTF in this draft or the last, they won't sign Alex Smith long term. In fact, I don't see a single scenario that has the Chiefs committing long-term money (especially $15m/yr) to Alex Smith. Andy Reid and John Dorsey want a guy they can develop over an extended period of time. (see Aaron Rodgers)

I see a 3 year plan of something like the following:

Trade Eric Berry for draft picks in 2015/16
    Let Alex Smith walk for picks
    Trade Hali for picks in '16
    Let Charles walk after '16
    Trade DJ for picks in '16
    Cut/trade Sean Smith after '14
    Sign Justin Houston long-term
    Sign Dontari Poe long-term
    Sign Bray (or '14 rookie) long-term

10+ picks in 2015
    10+ picks in 2016

All this among other moves, of course... but I think you are going to see a drastically different team heading into the 2016 team than many of us want to see. I will be absolutely shocked and dismayed if Alex Smith is the starting QB for the Kansas City Chiefs heading into the 2016 season.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Alex Smith showed us he was a pretty decent quaterback last year. He even showed some flashes of brilliance. And without a doubt he showed a great personal drive to "just get the damned job done".

He did look less-than-impressive the first half of the season. But, a certain amount of that should be written off to new team, new scheme, new coach. But he looked a lot better as an individual player the last half of the season.

I'm not at all sure however that last season earned him a long term $15 or so million per year contract with a lot of it guaranteed.

I can easily see him being worth a 5 year $70 million contract extension with say $15-$18 million guaranteed. Not what I would like to see us pay him, but I could live with it. That would really only commit us to him for 2014 and 2015 and if done right might free up a little cap space this year. But I doubt his "condom agent" would do that. In today's NFL, it's all about guaranteed money.

Alternatively, I'm happy to see him play out 2014 and depending on his performance either let him go in free agency (compensatory picks, a troubled team would probably grab him so the picks for the 2015 season would probably be good) or maybe sign a lower deal based on what looks like a rough schedule this year. If we went 7-9 or 8-8 in 2014 for that should certainly lower the demands.

I'd like to see us keep Alex Smith....unless Reid honestly thinks that in Bray or Chase Daniel we have some sort of "secret nuclear weapon" that only needs one more year of development.

In short, I figure that I have to trust Reid on this issue.
    A big part of the reason why he looked less than impressive were simply because of the drops. Cut those drops in half, and Alex's numbers go up.

This is aggravation that we don't need. I'd think it would be better for both parties to chill out, play this season and make a decision closer to contract's end. If Dorsey aggravates the situation by drafting a QB this year, not only would it eat up a scarce draft pick this year, it could possibly backfire in Dorsey's face if Alex played less than inspired football, and the drafted QB turns out to be a dud.

At the other end of this I suspect is an eager agent, which is why this crud happened when it could hurt us the most. But hey that's what they're paid for. Problem with that is, he's thinking of his commission first, player second, team footing the bill third.

IMHO Alex is worth the money. But the Chiefs can't spend what they don't have. So it very well might be a situation where KC is forced to start a newly drafted QB, going through all the growing pans QB's go through, and Alex Smith going to a team that might not have the coaching or player roster that KC does.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    He wasn't good early in his career. Neither was Alex Smith. Who cares?
    Apples to Oranges comparison and totally ludicrous.

He obviously didn't overvalue himself. He got what he wanted in the end. Stop.
    Yes, he did. He wanted top 5 LT money and he wasn't a top 5 LT. And no, I'm not going to sop at your say-so. I'll stop when I'm ready.

Well since Okung has missed 30% of his team's games since he was drafted, it's impossible to say.
    Impossible for whom? Not for anyone who's watched them closely like I have via NFL Game Rewind over the last 4 years. Okung is clearly the superior talent.

BTW, Okung has been on the field for every Seahawks post-season game since they drafted him & they've made the playoffs 3 of the 4 years he's been there and won at least 1 post-season game, so in reality, the games he's missed in the regular season haven't kept him off the field in the post-season. Nor is it etched in stone that he would have missed that many games had the Chiefs drafted him. That's an unknown commodity.

Staley played against the same competition for the most part in 2012 and had 6 penalties.
    And thank you for pointing out another Tackle that's better than Albert that just happened to come from the same school as Eric Fisher.

Nevertheless, Okung committed two penalties in the Super Bowl against a Von Miller-less pass rush. So yes, he has a knack for committing penalties, like Albert, regardless of the competition.
    I only recall one penalty by Okung, but regardless, it doesn't change the fact that he's a better LT than Albert ever was or ever will be.

We get it, you don't like Albert and he's an awful LT. Now back to Alex Smith.
    Talk about a case of the pot calling the kettle black, as evidenced by the "Yep. If he's going to demand Romo, Cutler, Flacco money, good riddance." regarding Alex.

1) There's no proof anywhere that Alex is demanding the same type of money. For all any of us know, a deal could already be in place with only the salary cap space standing in the way.
    2) The fact that you want a QB drafted with the top draft pick in 2014, in spite of Alex proving last year that he is a quality QB and having a great post-season performance and in spite of having given up two 2nd round picks to acquire his services.

Yeah, we get it all right. You don't like Alex Smith and no matter what he does, or what Tyler Bray does, you'll still want a QB drafted in round 1, needlessly.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 05-07-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    A big part of the reason why he looked less than impressive were simply because of the drops. Cut those drops in half, and Alex's numbers go up.

This is aggravation that we don't need. I'd think it would be better for both parties to chill out, play this season and make a decision closer to contract's end. If Dorsey aggravates the situation by drafting a QB this year, not only would it eat up a scarce draft pick this year, it could possibly backfire in Dorsey's face if Alex played less than inspired football, and the drafted QB turns out to be a dud.

At the other end of this I suspect is an eager agent, which is why this crud happened when it could hurt us the most. But hey that's what they're paid for. Problem with that is, he's thinking of his commission first, player second, team footing the bill third.

IMHO Alex is worth the money. But the Chiefs can't spend what they don't have. So it very well might be a situation where KC is forced to start a newly drafted QB, going through all the growing pans QB's go through, and Alex Smith going to a team that might not have the coaching or player roster that KC does.
    Smith's agent is Tom Condon, correct? Just so happens that Condon is a former Chiefs player. Could be wishful thinking, but just maybe he'll be more lenient in his negotiations with the Chiefs since he was a former Chiefs player. One can hope.

But, the thought of giving up two 2nd round picks for a 2-yr loaner QB, doesn't look good at all, if Smith walks after 2014. We won't know anything until cap space is cleared, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Yes, he did. He wanted [and got] top 5 LT money and he wasn't a top 5 LT. And no, I'm not going to sop at your say-so. I'll stop when I'm ready.
    Fixed

And thank you for pointing out another Tackle that's better than Albert that just happened to come from the same school as Eric Fisher.
    The school they came from is completely irrelevant and you know that...unless you want to say Leonard Hankerson is on par w/ Andre Johnson and Michael Irvin.

Talk about a case of the pot calling the kettle black, as evidenced by the "Yep. If he's going to demand Romo, Cutler, Flacco money, good riddance." regarding Alex.

1) There's no proof anywhere that Alex is demanding the same type of money. For all any of us know, a deal could already be in place with only the salary cap space standing in the way.
    2) The fact that you want a QB drafted with the top draft pick in 2014, in spite of Alex proving last year that he is a quality QB and having a great post-season performance and in spite of having given up two 2nd round picks to acquire his services.

Yeah, we get it all right. You don't like Alex Smith and no matter what he does, or what Tyler Bray does, you'll still want a QB drafted in round 1, needlessly.
    Finally, back to Alex Smith. I think he's a solid QB. Haven't said otherwise after watching him play last season. But you know he's not worth Romo, Cutler, Flacco money (Flacco isn't worth Flacco money to be honest). Reports say talks have stalled, and you know it's pretty much a given a Condon represented player is going to demand top $$ based on what recent starting QBs have gotten when they re-signed. He can point to 11 wins. He can point to the playoffs. He can point to 13 wins in 2011. He can point to the fact that he has the lowest INT % aside from Rodgers since 2011...He's not going to be cheap.

Cap space is not in the way. Talks have stalled.

Fixed

The school they came from is completely irrelevant and you know that...unless you want to say Leonard Hankerson is on par w/ Andre Johnson and Michael Irvin.

Finally, back to Alex Smith. I think he's a solid QB. Haven't said otherwise after watching him play last season. But you know he's not worth Romo, Cutler, Flacco money (Flacco isn't worth Flacco money to be honest). Reports say talks have stalled, and you know it's pretty much a given a Condon represented player is going to demand top $$ based on what recent starting QBs have gotten when they re-signed. He can point to 11 wins. He can point to the playoffs. He can point to 13 wins in 2011. He can point to the fact that he has the lowest INT % aside from Rodgers since 2011...He's not going to be cheap.

1. You fixed nothing. He wanted KC to pay him top-5 LT money, but they wisely didn't do it. Miami was being suckered out of desperation. If they had waited patiently, they could have gotten a better player in Veldheer for less -- like the Cardinals did.

2. The school being mentioned was coincidental.

3. The source behind that report, Ian Rapoport, is about as reliable as a dead cuckoo-bird. And yes, cap space is in the way. If the Chiefs had 20 mill in cap space as opposed to only 4.5 mill., it's likely a deal might have already been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post

Now that right there is one hell of a fine post!!!!! Maybe we will get lucky and "Tom-the-Condom" will drop dead of a heart attack while Alex is playing out the 2014 season?

And yeah....I'm allowed to say that. I had my first heart attack 18 years ago at age 39. Another 3 years ago. IF Tom-the-Condom is going to drop dead, now would be a good time. Our Chiefs could use a little plain old luck.

And thank you Jesus! Tomorrow at this time we'll have forgotten this thread and be talking about the draft.

So let me ask. If he were to play this next season at the level he ended last year don't you think it would be worth it to pay him that money. Last season ended with the offense really starting to look like they had a lot of promise. Any signs of defense and we would have enjoyed the first playoff win in 20 years. If he can do that for a whole season I say PAY HIM.

The question on Smith is why the first part of the year was down. Is that just how he is. Was it just growing pains with a new head coach and a new offense with a new team. I think at the end of the day Alex is going to be around for a few years. But I'm glad they are going to make him earn it
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

^^Matt, I think you hit it right on the head. They'll let Alex earn it via a second season. Plus they will have some cap space in 2015, that's almost a given. If he has a banner year, then give him a 4-5 yr lucrative deal. If he doesn't, then next man up, if he chooses not to stay for a fair cost.

My biggest fear is if they draft a QB in round 1 of this draft, then Alex isn't going to put his name on the dotted line of any KC contract. He's been down that road before & would probably consider it a direct slap.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    So let me ask. If he were to play this next season at the level he ended last year don't you think it would be worth it to pay him that money. Last season ended with the offense really starting to look like they had a lot of promise. Any signs of defense and we would have enjoyed the first playoff win in 20 years. If he can do that for a whole season I say PAY HIM.

The question on Smith is why the first part of the year was down. Is that just how he is. Was it just growing pains with a new head coach and a new offense with a new team. I think at the end of the day Alex is going to be around for a few years. But I'm glad they are going to make him earn it
    I'm ready to see him in 2014 against the entire NFC West and a much tougher schedule. If he comes out of this unscathed, then by all means, pay him.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast