Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade effectively done for alex smith?

Default Trade effectively done for alex smith?

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Who says we cant rework his contract once we get him? Still think 8 mil a year is cheap thiugh.
    I think it's highly doubtful. I've heard that he likely would receive more than 8.5 mil if he was a free agent.

IF true, same as it ever was in Chiefs land. Sure hoping this is NOT true.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    IF true, same as it ever was in Chiefs land. Sure hoping this is NOT true.
    I read what you're sayin bud, but, if it is true, I would think that it wouldn't quite be the same for a couple of reasons:

First, Smith is better than Cassel and wouldn't have to be developed like any one of the QBs entering this years draft. (IMO)

Second, Andy Reid, unlike Haley or Crennel, knows what to do with a QB.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 02-27-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I read what you're sayin bud, but, if it is true, I would think that it wouldn't quite be the same for a couple of reasons:

First, Smith is better than Cassel and wouldn't have to be developed like any one of the QBs entering this years draft. (IMO)

Second, Andy Reid, unlike Haley or Crennel, knows what to do with a QB.
    Come on Chiefster, you have been a fan for how long now? I don't see how any fan can sign off on doing the SAME THING every few years. Bad QB play. OK, lets get somebody elses backup and make them a starter. Rinse Repeat. WE haven't won a playoff game in 20 years. WE haven't drafted a first round QB in 30 years. We haven't been to a superbowl in GASP 43 years.

Something has GOT to give!!!!

What is the one thing the Chiefs NEVER do? Draft and develop their own QB.

It is time to take a chance and do something DIFFERENT. Get Geno. Get Barkley. Get Manuel. Get Wilson. I don't care. Just get one of them and develop them. Stop promoting other teams castoffs.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Brett Favre was Atlanta's backup QB so they traded him. How did that work out for GB? It's about getting the best QB. Forget the label "somebody else's backup". If they evaluate him to be the best option, then he's the best option. If he's better than some one who wasn't somebody else's backup, why go with the worse guy just so you can say, "He's not somebody else's backup"?

It's not "doing the same thing every year". KC has never traded for Alex Smith before. He's his own unique person. Reid and Dorsey know what they're doing. They have a track record. If they think he's the man, then let's see if they're right.

Quote Originally Posted by FranciscoD'anconia View Post
    Brett Favre was Atlanta's backup QB so they traded him. How did that work out for GB? It's about getting the best QB. Forget the label "somebody else's backup". If they evaluate him to be the best option, then he's the best option. If he's better than some one who wasn't somebody else's backup, why go with the worse guy just so you can say, "He's not somebody else's backup"?

It's not "doing the same thing every year". KC has never traded for Alex Smith before. He's his own unique person. Reid and Dorsey know what they're doing. They have a track record. If they think he's the man, then let's see if they're right.

THIS

It doesn't matter how you get a QB. What matters is if he's the right QB. If he's the right QB then it doesn't matter how we get him. We brought in the St.Louis Rams backup Trent Green that worked pretty well for us. We drafted Brodie Croyle that didn't work Brodie was not the right QB Trent was. You just have to get the right Qb
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by FranciscoD'anconia View Post
    Brett Favre was Atlanta's backup QB so they traded him. How did that work out for GB? It's about getting the best QB. Forget the label "somebody Else's backup". If they evaluate him to be the best option, then he's the best option. If he's better than some one who wasn't somebody Else's backup, why go with the worse guy just so you can say, "He's not somebody Else's backup"?

thank you! you are talking some sense...The reason they probably won't draft a guy in the 1st is because there probably isn't one WORTH a 1st round pick! that's not the chiefs fault! So you mean to tell me when we get smith and draft one of the guys you mentioned (Barkley, Manuel, Wilson, etc) in the 2nd or 3rd, that that's not a good deal? I for one will be happy. Just my 2 cents.

Look at the 2010 draft class. One guy who MAYBE should have gone in the first round, St. Louis reached for at #1 and then a bunch of guys who were all reaches in the 2nd and 3rd round, none of which should be playing in the NFL. That's this class, except that Bradford is probably even better than Gino. Would you pass up on all 22 probowl players in that draft to take a mediocre QB?

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Come on Chiefster, you have been a fan for how long now? I don't see how any fan can sign off on doing the SAME THING every few years. Bad QB play. OK, lets get somebody elses backup and make them a starter. Rinse Repeat. WE haven't won a playoff game in 20 years. WE haven't drafted a first round QB in 30 years. We haven't been to a superbowl in GASP 43 years.

Something has GOT to give!!!!

What is the one thing the Chiefs NEVER do? Draft and develop their own QB.

It is time to take a chance and do something DIFFERENT. Get Geno. Get Barkley. Get Manuel. Get Wilson. I don't care. Just get one of them and develop them. Stop promoting other teams castoffs.
    I absolutely agree Guru, but Smith is absolutely NOT just another teams cast off. Smith lost his starting job because of injury; it wasn't like he was benched because he WASN'T performing at a high level. I have no problem with drafting a QB to develop as well and I think that Smith would be a good QB to learn from. It's not a question of me signing off on this move particularly if it's going to happen anyway, I’m just trying to see the glass half full. I'm a fan of the of the Kansas City Chiefs, as I know you are, and as such the best we can hope for is that those making these kinds of decisions do so from years of proven successful experience. I get your point and understand the frustration; you and I have been a very large part of that frustration for far too long especially with regards to the QB position. We have been a QB away from a winning season, playoff win and SB appearance for far too many years now. However, the game has somewhat changed, now that we have the rookie cap we can do both. At the end of the day: it is what it is.

However, I do concede you're point about doing something different.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 02-27-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast