Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Santonio Holmes to jets for 5th round pick

Default Santonio Holmes to jets for 5th round pick

why couldent we or why didnt we make a run at Santonio holmes if they were only asking a 5th rounder

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    Yep. If we traded for Holmes, we'd basically be renting him for 12 games in 2010. And given his problems off the field, it's more trouble than it's worth for those 12 games.
    I'd gladly part with a fifth round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    The Chiefs completely cut a player that was simlilar but in a better situation than Holmes, (LJ) and most of the fan base was okay with it.

Why wouldn't Pittsburgh be happy getting a 5th. This is a very risky trade for the JETS...

Risky? They lost a fifth round pick. Odds are pretty heavily against getting anything from a player you select late in the fifth round.

I think the chances of getting a good player out of Holmes is far greater than getting a good player by using that draft pick.

I am not one who thinks our WR positions is in severe need of upgrades. But I would have jumped at this opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

Risky? They lost a fifth round pick. Odds are pretty heavily against getting anything from a player you select late in the fifth round.

I think the chances of getting a good player out of Holmes is far greater than getting a good player by using that draft pick.

I am not one who thinks our WR positions is in severe need of upgrades. But I would have jumped at this opportunity.
    Holmes would have been pissed at being traded to the Chiefs run-first/short passing offense in a contract year. He would not have produced on the field, and he would have been a cancer in the locker room. He would have clocked his twelve games, alligator-armed every pass that would have got him hit, and counted the days until he was gone. On his way out to his shiny new big contract, he'd have blamed the Chiefs and Cassel for his low production in 2010.

And that's best case. Worst case, he violates the substance abuse policy, has a ton of off the field conduct problems, and spends the next nine months running down the team and city to every newspaper that will listen.

Holmes would have been pissed at being traded to the Chiefs run-first/short passing offense in a contract year. He would not have produced on the field, and he would have been a cancer in the locker room. He would have clocked his twelve games, alligator-armed every pass that would have got him hit, and counted the days until he was gone. On his way out to his shiny new big contract, he'd have blamed the Chiefs and Cassel for his low production in 2010.

And that's best case. Worst case, he violates the substance abuse policy, has a ton of off the field conduct problems, and spends the next nine months running down the team and city to every newspaper that will listen.
    That's the best case? That he hates his new team and decides to not play hard?

Do you believe that?

That's the best case? That he hates his new team and decides to not play hard?

Do you believe that?
    I think that's best case at his being traded to the Chiefs. We finished last in our division last season, are shaky at most key positions, and our starting QB threw for less than 3,000 yards in 2009. Our OC is known for short passing routes and physical WR play. You think a speedy, top-flight WR in a contract year wants to come here right now? Especially one with Holmes's off-field issues?

All we'd do by trading for Holmes is get average (at best) WR play while inviting a media circus for the next season. No thanks.

I think that's best case at his being traded to the Chiefs. We finished last in our division last season, are shaky at most key positions, and our starting QB threw for less than 3,000 yards in 2009. Our OC is known for short passing routes and physical WR play. You think a speedy, top-flight WR in a contract year wants to come here right now? Especially one with Holmes's off-field issues?

All we'd do by trading for Holmes is get average (at best) WR play while inviting a media circus for the next season. No thanks.
    Well, the trade to The jets has already been done. But Holmes has been in Pittsburgh this whole time. Not exactly a pass-happy offense there.

I submit that the best case scenario is that plays hard for twelve games, does a great job, and helps this team to become a winner, thus raising his interest in returning to a winning team.

What makes that scenario impossible?

Well, the trade to The jets has already been done. But Holmes has been in Pittsburgh this whole time. Not exactly a pass-happy offense there.

I submit that the best case scenario is that plays hard for twelve games, does a great job, and helps this team to become a winner, thus raising his interest in returning to a winning team.

What makes that scenario impossible?
    Impossible? Nothing. It's not impossible that Holmes posts 4000 receiving yards and 40 TDs next year. It's not impossible he plays football during the day, fights crime at night, and cures cancer at dinnertime. But it's awfully unlikely. As much as a thing can be predicted, it can be predicted that Holmes would be a disaster on the Chiefs next season.

First, the Steelers have been a very pass-happy offense when Roethlisberger's healthy (finished 9th in 2009, which is a feat given their OL). Second, nothing about Holmes says he'd be a good trooper. Everything points to him being a Brandon Marshall-style malcontent. Third, our passing offense is not a big play offense. It's a lot of short-to-internediate passing routes. Our WRs get hit a *lot*, which is one of the big reason we led the league in drops. We don't have the big arm QB to get Holmes the big yardage. And he's not going to get killed in a contract year going over the middle every down. Why would he?

You can believe that everything would have turned out great if you want. I just don't see it.

Impossible? Nothing. It's not impossible that Holmes posts 4000 receiving yards and 40 TDs next year. It's not impossible he plays football during the day, fights crime at night, and cures cancer at dinnertime. But it's awfully unlikely. As much as a thing can be predicted, it can be predicted that Holmes would be a disaster on the Chiefs next season.

First, the Steelers have been a very pass-happy offense when Roethlisberger's healthy (finished 9th in 2009, which is a feat given their OL). Second, nothing about Holmes says he'd be a good trooper. Everything points to him being a Brandon Marshall-style malcontent. Third, our passing offense is not a big play offense. It's a lot of short-to-internediate passing routes. Our WRs get hit a *lot*, which is one of the big reason we led the league in drops. We don't have the big arm QB to get Holmes the big yardage. And he's not going to get killed in a contract year going over the middle every down. Why would he?

You can believe that everything would have turned out great if you want. I just don't see it.

I am sure you're right. He probably would have crept through KC at night, killing every first-born son.

Anyone can make ridiculous exaggerations.

He would not have produced on the field, and he would have been a cancer in the locker room. He would have clocked his twelve games, alligator-armed every pass that would have got him hit, and counted the days until he was gone. On his way out to his shiny new big contract, he'd have blamed the Chiefs and Cassel for his low production in 2010. And that's best case.
    But then, clearly, you take to it pretty naturally.

Hey, just bustin' your b*lls.

But you offer the best case and worst case scenarios as being, pretty much, the same.

Just a tad closed-minded.

The last Superbowl champion WR that left Pittsburgh to go to NY ended up in Jail. A lot of similarities with those two.

Hopefully Santonio can avoid taking that path.

I am sure you're right. He probably would have crept through KC at night, killing every first-born son.

Anyone can make ridiculous exaggerations.

But then, clearly, you take to it pretty naturally.

Hey, just bustin' your b*lls.

But you offer the best case and worst case scenarios as being, pretty much, the same.

Just a tad closed-minded.
    If you want to believe that Santonio Holmes would have been a great Chief, knock yourself out. But man, you've got to be blind to be missing all the warning flags here. If Santonio Holmes were a completely different person at a different time in his professional career, but still had the same physical skills, he'd be a great pickup. As a malcontent in a contract year, there's really no other option on how it would have turned out.

Yes it is Risky. The Jets are willing to take that Risk for the possible rewards. Not all teams are that willing which is why a 5th isn't a steal of a deal.

Holmes has shown little remorse for his drug violation(S) and is a huge risk for repeating this violation which will induce a full year suspension at a minimum.

He is currently facing a law suit for throwing a glass at a woman and cutting her face. He had one other previous domestic dispute dropped in 2006.

Just recently he told a fan to kill themself through his twitter page and just moved to the biggesst city in the US with some of the most ruthless fans. He is a time bomb just waiting to explode.

Maybe people look past all of this because he was a superbowl MVP, but the guy is at risk of getting the Pacman Jones suspension if he does not get his head on straight. That is a huge risk.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast