Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salary Cap Question

Default Salary Cap Question

If there is not going to be a cap next year and since we are so far under the cap right now....Why are we NOT signing some PEOPLE???

What am I missing here?

C'mon Lamerson...I know you know this stuff better than me!!

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    I love the Chiefs, and I love KC. But come on. We didn't miss out on FAs because we were lazy or cheap. We missed out because we didn't want to double the offers of guys who would be here only for the massive payday, not for the team.
    Maybe, but Pioli made it clear from the start that he wasn't going to be active at the beginning of free agency and instead go after guys who are still available towards the end, and it appears that's what happened. Sure a lot of guys don't want to sign with bad teams, but not all of them. The Rams signed Jason Brown and the Jags signed Big Game Torry Holt. Neither of those teams are exactly threats to win anything anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Maybe, but Pioli made it clear from the start that he wasn't going to be active at the beginning of free agency and instead go after guys who are still available towards the end, and it appears that's what happened. Sure a lot of guys don't want to sign with bad teams, but not all of them. The Rams signed Jason Brown and the Jags signed Big Game Torry Holt. Neither of those teams are exactly threats to win anything anytime soon.
    1. The Rams massively overpaid Brown ($8M a year for an OG/C ?!). I like him, but come on, he's not worth that by a long shot. The Rams will be losers for years based on the crazy signings they've made the past couple offseaons.

2. The Jags think they are a player or two away. Everyone forgets that they were preseason faves for a lot of writers last year. They overpaid for Holt, just as they overpaid for Porter, hoping that a WR or 2 will put them over the top.

I think (and I'll admit I have nothing to back it up) that Pioli realized pretty early that most big name FAs weren't coming to KC. And he thought it was better to deflate expectations than inflate them. If we're respectable in 2009, we're going to become more active afterword, mark it.

Guys, Pioli knows what he's doing. You don't just accidently be as high as he was in the Pats organization. Yes, he may be a little lost without Belichek but he is a smart man. I think he knows there isn't a lot out there in the FA so he's not picking up anyone. He knew ppl like Haynesworth weren't coming to KC and he hopes someone falls through the cracks when training camp ends. I would love to see Boldin in KC but there's a good chance he changed agents because he wants a deal done. What you guys might be needing is to not look at this year and think we have made mistakes by getting Pioli and Haley if we stink(which we could suck it up on the field) Think of all the cap space we will have if we dont just spend it all on a bunch of nobody's this offseason.

I doubt the season goes uncapped~ If it does, that just sucks. Salary caps help keep parity, and thats what makes the NFL great~

I'm not trying to sound like I'm running down the Chiefs, but we're going to have problems attracting legitimate talent as market prices until we start winning. For example, I'll bet Pioli went pretty whole hog after Chris Canty, who the Giants overpaid, and Igor Olshansky, who the Cowboys overpaid. Those are both top teams in big markets. We could have equaled their offers and we wouldn't have gotten them. We could have beat their offers by sizable margins and not gotten the players. If I'm Canty, and I have the choice of spending my prime on a major market, perennial contender in a weak conference or on a rebuilding small market team in the AFC, the choice is really easy.

I love the Chiefs, and I love KC. But come on. We didn't miss out on FAs because we were lazy or cheap. We missed out because we didn't want to double the offers of guys who would be here only for the massive payday, not for the team.
    Really can't think of anything more to say about the present situation other then this!

Another issue with throwing out tons of money to free agents because there will be no cap next year, is that there will eventually be a cap again. There is also a small chance that the NFL works out a deal with the Union and we do have a capped year. Those are obviously the 2 biggest reasons. Another thing that has not been pointed out is that Pioli is looking at the BIG picture. He knows that we have alot of money under the cap and has stated more than once that he is looking at the Chiefs of 2010 and 2011. With that said, maybe he doesnt like the value in this years free agent class and wants to reserve the money for next year. Maybe he just needs to see what we actually have under Haley coaching before he makes to many personnel changes. Whatever it is, we know one thing for sure. Pioli does NOT rush decisions, everything is drawn out and no risks are taken. This time next year, Pioli / Haley will know exactly what they have and what they need and that is when I see the Chiefs as a major player in free agency, player trading and pick trading.
    Last edited by Big Daddy Tek; 05-30-2009 at 11:17 PM.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    Another issue with throwing out tons of money to free agents because there will be no cap next year, is that there will eventually be a cap again. I think Pioli wants to be ahead of the curve in that situation. Another thing that has not been pointed out is that Pioli is looking at the BIG picture. He knows that we have alot of money under the cap and has stated more than once that he is looking at the Chiefs of 2010 and 2011. With that said, maybe he doesnt like the value in this years free agent class and wants to reserve the money for next year. Maybe he just needs to see what we actually have under Haley coaching before he makes to many personnel changes. Whatever it is, we know one thing for sure. Pioli does NOT rush decisions, everything is drawn out and no risks are taken. This time next year, Pioli / Haley will know exactly what they have and what they need and that is when I see the Chiefs as a major player in free agency, player trading and pick trading.
    Well, Scott Pioli is very good at saving money (well he was at New England) so I wouldn't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    Pioli does NOT rush decisions, everything is drawn out and no risks are taken.

I don't know about no risks in retrospect I think some of the moves he's made thus far this offseason have been calculated risks.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    Consider the systems Price and Porter played in then think about this,
    Put either of them in the situation the Chiefs have now on a 1 yr contract . My thought would be they may have skills undetected due to team placement in their pasts. Then again I could be wrong.
    I understand your logic. I just think you overrate those guys, especially Price. I don't see any of them as better than any the guys we have already on the roster. Of all positions on the team (except QB), we are the most set at WR. Giving reps to a guy in practice and on the field to a one-year guy like Porter at the expense of possible long term fixtures like Bradley, Copper, and Lawrence will only hurt us long-term, and if these WRs are as bad for us as they were for the Bills, Rams, Jags, etc., then it hurts us short-term too.

... Of all positions on the team (except QB), we are the most set at WR...
    Don't forget CB, I like ours. :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12