Thread: bowe could be franchised again

Default bowe could be franchised again

Chiefs, Bowe move toward tag deadline without a deal

Posted by Mike Florio on February 28, 2013, 8:56 PM EST
    ReutersThe Chiefs and receiver Dwayne Bowe have been discussing a long-term deal. For now, we’re told there’s no news.
    There will be news soon. Absent a long-term deal by Monday, March 4, the Chiefs either will — or won’t — apply the franchise tag to Bowe. Because he was tagged in 2012 at a tender of $9.6 million, he’d be entitled to a 20-percent raise. That’s $11.4 million for one more season.
    And since a third straight tag would entitle Bowe to the quarterback tender in 2014, failure to sign Bowe to a long-term deal by July 15 means that he’ll undoubtedly hit the open market in 2014.
    On Wednesday, former Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli said on SiriusXM NFL Radio that he would have tagged Bowe again — in part because Bowe wants too much on a multi-year contract.
    “Dwayne is a good, productive player at a position of need,” Pioli said. “He’s the best receiver on the Chiefs. He’s one of the better receivers in the NFL. . . . I don’t believe he’s as good as maybe his agent thinks – and when I say that I don’t say that disrespectfully – I just mean there was a difference in opinion. I think he’s a top receiver that would deserve to be compensated in the top ten range, not the top five.”
    Since they have plenty of cap space, the Chiefs could tag Bowe and keep working toward a long-term contract.

I think with Reid here and knowing the kind of offense the new coach brings, Bowe will want to be here long-term. I fully expect the Chiefs to sign Bowe long-term and perhaps franchise Colquitt if a deal can't be struck with him.

Bowe is the least of our problems. We need leadership, consistency, and lines that won't take @#$% from anybody.
    SHUT IT

If Bowe and Smith can develop some good chemistry then I say get the deal done.

Bowe is all about Bowe - And Smith is a backup that got beat out by a rookie. Am I just being a negative Nancy here? Or am I seeing things as they are?
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Bowe is all about Bowe - And Smith is a backup that got beat out by a rookie. Am I just being a negative Nancy here? Or am I seeing things as they are?
    I think it all depends on your perception.

I think your being a DRAMA QUEEN

What rookie ever beat out Smith? He lost his starting job due to injury and a second year player held onto his job instead.

Quote Originally Posted by FranciscoD'anconia View Post
    What rookie ever beat out Smith? He lost his starting job due to injury and a second year player held onto his job instead.
    I love it when people say he got beat out of his job. Joe Montana then technically got beat out by Steve Young. Brett Favre got beat out by Aaron Rodgers, Drew Bledsoe got beat out by Tom Brady, and Drew Brees got beat out by Philip Rivers. They didnt lose their jobs because of talent, or lack thereof, they lost it because the other guy was REALLY good.

There comes a time when age gets you beat out......just saying.

If young equal talent is available then the job usually goes to the younger player.

Alex Smith DID loose his starting position to .....cant spell his name.