Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Roster Evaluation

Default Current Roster Evaluation

I've seen a lot of posts stating vast overreactions to the state of the current roster. I've seen posts that state we need 3 new O-linemen, that we need 3 new WRs, and that we need 2 new safeties to go along with 2 or 3 new LBs, 2 new DTs and a new CB, a new RB and a new QB.

SO, basically, we don't have a SINGLE good player on this team. I think otherwise. So, I'm going to run down the roster and try to identify who stays, who goes and who currently on the roster can either keep their starting roles or step into a starting role. After this exercise and ensuing discussion, we should have a BETTER idea as to what positions ACTUALLY have to be filled thru free agency and the draft.

Let's start with the offense.

WR- Dwayne Bowe, Mark Bradley, Will Franklin, and Kevin Robinson

Dwayne Bowe is a legitimate #1 WR in the making and shouldn't be looked at as someone who needs to be replaced. He could very well turn into a #2 WR if the Chiefs get Boldin or Crabtree or Houshmandzadeh, but the Chiefs don't HAVE to go out and find that #1 WR. They would probably better served by finding a less expensive #2 WR. Mark Bradley was the #2 last season and he impressed a lot of people but he fell off dramatically during the second half of the season and could serve as a good #3 in the future. Will Franklin and Kevin Robinson still need time to develop as most late round WRs do and it's probably too soon to tell what they're going to become.

RB- Larry Johnson, Jamaal Charles, Kolby Smith, Jackie Battle

Who knows what the hell is going on with LJ. He's still talented enough to be a great back for a couple more seasons and would probably be more valuable to the team if the Chiefs kept him instead of trying to trade him. All the reasons we want to get rid of him are all the reasons why teams won't give us fair value in a trade. He serves the team better staying as the featured back. Jamaal Charles probably solidified his position as the 3rd down back and #2 back. Kolby Smith will serve this team well as the #3 back if one of the first two were to get hurt. Jackie Battle is probably going to find himself stuck on special teams or the practice squad.

TE- Tony Gonzalez, Brad Cottam, Michael Merritt, Jed Collins

Tony is staying. Again, his value to the team is more as a player than a trade chip. Chances are, he at the very least puts up an average Tony Gonzalez year. Brad Cottam gets another year to learn from TG before becoming the future at that position. The Chiefs are set at TE for the foreseeable future. Michael Merritt probably cost himself a roster spot "over a little weed." So look for the Chiefs to grab another TE at somepoint during the off season. I know NOTHING about Jed Collins. Perhaps he can step into Merritt's role on the team.

LT- Branden Albert, Herb Taylor, Andrew Carnahan

Branden Albert played beyond expectations for a rookie who missed the entire preseason. He has the talent to be the franchise's LT for the next decade or so. However, his versatility and college background gives the Chiefs to option to move him inside or to the other OT position and draft the best available LT at #3. Herb Taylor did enough during his time on the line this season to warrant a look at a starting spot somewhere on the line. I know nothing about Carnahan.

LG- Brian Waters, Wade Smith

Brian Waters is a Pro Bowl OG and will be back for at least another season and possibly two. The Chiefs should find a LG for the future at some point this off season or next. Wade Smith is a good backup guard and should have a roster spot locked down.

C- Rudy Niswanger, Wade Smith

Rudy Niswanger is too big for the C position. This position IS one of the positions on the line that should be upgraded this season. I'd expect the Chiefs to draft or sign a new Center. Wade Smith would probably lose his job as backup to Niswanger.

RG- Adrian Jones, Wade Smith, Tavares Washington

Another position that will change next season. Although, the replacement might be found on the current roster. I'd actually expect Niswanger to take a step to his right and fill this position. His size, build, and talent could be perfect for the guard spot. Wade Smith is a good backup and Washington is probably a non-factor.

RT- Damion McIntosh, Herb Taylor, Barry Richardson

This could actually be one of the deeper positions on the line. McIntosh really came on toward the end of the season and COULD keep his spot. Herb Talyor is knocking on the door and could push for a starting position. Barry Richardson was drafted last season with the thought in mind that HE could be the future at that position. Then, depending on what they want to do with Albert, HE could be at this spot to start the season. I'm not sure the Chiefs will be looking to bring in another player to compete here.

QB- Tyler Thigpen, Quinn Gray, Brodie Croyle, Damon Huard

Your guess is as good as mine here. If Pioli is as good of a talent evaluator as everyone says he is, he'll see that the value we'd have to give up for Cassel isn't nearly worth the difference between he and Thigpen. I doubt the Chiefs trade a pair of firsts for Cassel. Gray was a good back up and should be retained. Croyle would be a cheap, young and talented 3rd QB if no other QB were brought in to compete. Damon Huard probably doesn't have a spot next season.

Defense

LE- Tamba Hali, Wallace Gilberry, Turk McBride

Tamba Hali plays good at LE. I doubt they'll look to replace him. I can't see Turk McBride staying on the team. He just hasn't done enough. I know nothing about Gilberry.

LT- Tank Tyler, Alfonso Boone

Tank is developing nicely and I think the Chiefs got a steal in the 3rd, drafting this guy. Alfonso Boone is a good rotational player and he'll have a roster spot.

RT- Glenn Dorsey Ron Edwards, Derek Lokey

Everyone is freaking out about Dorsey and worrying that he could be Ryan Sims part Deux. That's not the case. Dorsey is going to be a great DT. The problem with him and Tyler going forward is that the Chiefs may not keep the 4-3 and that might spell doom for both players. Edwards is a good rotational player and should have a roster spot next season. I don't know much about Lokey other than he was above average at Texas.

RE- Jason Babin, Andy Studebaker, Brian Johnston

Jason Babin really surprised some people last season and may have won a roster spot going into next season. Although, I seriously doubt he'll be looked at as THE starting LDE. I don't know enough about Studebaker and Johnston to be able to give an informed opinion.

LOLB- Demarrio Williams, Curtis Gatewood

Williams needs to be a backup and the Chiefs need to fill their linebacking positions through free agency.

MLB- Pat Thomas Weston Dacus

See above

ROLB- Derrick Johnson

Johnson is the only good LB the Chiefs have on their team. Since being drafted 15th overall, he has underachieved. This season is going to be a huge year for him as it pertains to his future as a Chief.

LCB- Brandon Carr, Pat Surtain, Maurice Leggett

Brandon Carr and Maurice Leggett did enough last season to be considered for a starting position next season. Look for Pat Surtain to be released.

RCB- Brandon Flowers

Starter.... for a WHILE

SS- Bernard Pollard, DaJuan Morgan

Personally, I like Pollard. His mistakes seem to be basic. If he can figure out how to wrap up, I think we've got a SS for a long time.

FS- Jarrad Page, DaJuan Morgan, Jon McGraw

I wouldn't be surprised to see Page come back. But, I also wouldn't be surprised to see Morgan become the new FS.

The way I see it, the Chiefs NEED only a few players from free agency and the draft, while any other players they bring in would be considered upgrades and would render the players they replace as depth... WHICH IS A GOOD THING!!

This is how I see the roster:

FA/D= Free Agent/Draft

Offense
    QB- Thigpen
    RB- Johnson
    TE- Gonzalez
    WR- Bowe, FA/D, Bradley
    LT-Albert or D
    LG-Waters
    C-FA/D
    RG-Niswanger/Albert
    RT-Taylor/Albert/McIntosh

Defense
    LDE-Tamba Hali/Jason Babin
    LT-Tyler
    RT-Dorsey
    RDE-FA/D
    ROLB-FA/D
    MLB-FA/D
    LOLB-Johnson
    LCB-Carr/Leggett/FA/D
    RCB-Flowers/FA/D
    SS-Pollard
    FS-Morgan

So, as far as in players the Chiefs NEED to bring in, they really just NEED five players to complete the starting squad (excluding depth). We need a RDE, ROLB, MLB, #2 WR and a Center. The rest of the team CAN be filled through players already on the team.

Not that I don't think drafting a LT could represent the best value at #3, but taking a LT at #3 is going to kill the value we got from selecting Albert #15. You don't generally see franchise LTs taken #15. I think we got a steal by getting Albert at the 15th spot. Suddenly, by taking a LT #3 this season, you're basically drafting a guard or RT with the 15th spot last season. RTs and Guards don't get taken that high in the draft. This is basically my ONLY problem with taking a LT at the #3 spot. But knowing Monroe already replaced Albert once at LT, makes me feel a lot better about Monroe as a LT in particular.

Do y'all feel comfortable taking another LT at #3 who isn't named Monroe?

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Not that I don't think drafting a LT could represent the best value at #3, but taking a LT at #3 is going to kill the value we got from selecting Albert #15. You don't generally see franchise LTs taken #15. I think we got a steal by getting Albert at the 15th spot. Suddenly, by taking a LT #3 this season, you're basically drafting a guard or RT with the 15th spot last season. RTs and Guards don't get taken that high in the draft. This is basically my ONLY problem with taking a LT at the #3 spot. But knowing Monroe already replaced Albert once at LT, makes me feel a lot better about Monroe as a LT in particular.

Jason Smith, Michael Oher, Andre Smith, and Monroe are the only four I can think of who'd be taken that high. Andre Smith isn't lasting to 3. My only problem with taking Oher or J. Smith is that both would be available at 10, were we picking lower.

Tell the truth, if we can't get Andre Smith or Monroe, I'd rather pick Raji, Maualuga, or Curry and wait until the 2nd to pick OL.

Albert at 15 as a RT wouldn't be terrible value. The Panthers basically did that with Otah last year. It turned out pretty OK for them.

I think, Smith, Smith, Oher, and Monroe will all be rocks on somebodys OL for years to come. If Monroe and Andre Smith are both gone, I still think we'd be ok with
    Smith or Oher. But Maybe Pioli considers Raji or Curry in this situation....
    SHUT IT

Well maybe that's why the people that selected him are gone. We have a new sheriff in town and just maybe he won't make these type of picks in the future (I Hope I Hope I Hope)

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    Well maybe that's why the people that selected him are gone. We have a new sheriff in town and just maybe he won't make these type of picks in the future (I Hope I Hope I Hope)
    Poor logic.

You think the Chiefs didn't need a LT last season?

Poor logic.

You think the Chiefs didn't need a LT last season?

No I did not say that all I am saying is you can not let what has happened in the past effect what you do now.

Yesterday is history and tomorrow is a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post

No I did not say that all I am saying is you can not let what has happened in the past effect what you do now.

Yesterday is history and tomorrow is a mystery.
    If you already have a franchise LT that is on the same plain as LTs taken in the top 3, then you wouldn't necessarily HAVE to take a LT #3 this season. In our particular situation, I wouldn't be completely against taking a LT at #3 because we DO need to fill a couple holes on the line that Albert would be more than capable of filling if he's pushed off the LT position. A LT at #3 could also represent the best value with that pick.

BUT, if a LT DOESN'T represent the greatest value at #3, then it would be much easier and MUCH cheaper to sign a RT or RG later in rounds 3 or 4. I think personally think having 2 first round OTs is slight overkill. But it would DEFINITELY help to build this line into something great.

You DO have to figure out what you did last year and what you currently have on the team to be able to make the best decisions possible for the club.

So if LT kills Albert's value, which I agree with, who do you think represents good value at 3? I don't think Curry does, Crabtree can be justified, but I don't like him as the pick there. There is no DE worth it. We're stuck in no man's land at #3, because it will probably be near impossible to trade down.

The notion of taking a potential franchise QB is not as crazy as you guys make it seem. QB is by far the most important position on a football team. I understand your concerns, but I think the risk is worth it. I don't know why you guys don't like either of the QB's. Both have showed promise and the potential to be franchise guys. Groom them for a year, and maybe we won't have to worry about QB for 10-12 years. Both have the mental makeup and talent to make it in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    texaschief[/B];117221]If you already have a franchise LT that is on the same plain as LTs taken in the top 3, then you wouldn't necessarily HAVE to take a LT #3 this season. In our particular situation, I wouldn't be completely against taking a LT at #3 because we DO need to fill a couple holes on the line that Albert would be more than capable of filling if he's pushed off the LT position. A LT at #3 could also represent the best value with that pick.

BUT, if a LT DOESN'T represent the greatest value at #3, then it would be much easier and MUCH cheaper to sign a RT or RG later in rounds 3 or 4. I think personally think having 2 first round OTs is slight overkill. But it would DEFINITELY help to build this line into something great.

You DO have to figure out what you did last year and what you currently have on the team to be able to make the best decisions possible for the club.

I was addressing the statement about if we took a OT with our third pick it would downgrade our 15th pick last year, don't let drowngrading a pick from last year determine a pick this year is all I was talking about.
    Last edited by N TX Dave; 02-09-2009 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefsFanFromNY View Post
    So if LT kills Albert's value, which I agree with, who do you think represents good value at 3? I don't think Curry does, Crabtree can be justified, but I don't like him as the pick there. There is no DE worth it. We're stuck in no man's land at #3, because it will probably be near impossible to trade down.

The notion of taking a potential franchise QB is not as crazy as you guys make it seem. QB is by far the most important position on a football team. I understand your concerns, but I think the risk is worth it. I don't know why you guys don't like either of the QB's. Both have showed promise and the potential to be franchise guys. Groom them for a year, and maybe we won't have to worry about QB for 10-12 years. Both have the mental makeup and talent to make it in this league.
    There's no way a QB could be justified at #3. Neither Stafford nor Sanchez would be good value at #3. If Curry isn't worth #3, neither of the QBs are. I think the best value is either a LT, Curry or Jenkins. Flowers is a good CB, no doubt. But he's not that shut-down CB worth a top 5 pick... Jenkins would be a great pick and could help the defense get a lot better quickly. A CB pick could compliment a FA DE signing.

IMO, it's either the best LT, Curry or Jenkins. At this point Crabtree would just be putting lipstick on a pig. We are stuck in no-man's land, but just because we may need a new QB, doesn't mean we should panic and take a Stafford or Sanchez at #3 when they could very well still be there after #10 if the Chiefs don't take him.

Like I said before, if Stafford or Sanchez were a Phillip Rivers or Peyton Manning or Matt Ryan or some other can't miss QB, then I might be more willing to jump off that bridge. I have NO problem taking a QB #3 if they are unquestionably worth it... neither of these guys are. They aren't even as highly thought of as Matt Ryan, Matt Leinart or even Vince Young was.

If it's a franchise QB we want to get this season, I'd talk to the Cardinals or Eagles about trading a 2010 conditional draft pick for Leinart or Kobb.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast