Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Big John Henderson

Default Big John Henderson

John Henderson, probowl defensive tackle for the Jacksonville Jaguars, was released today.

the giants tried to get him in for a visit, but Pioli beat them to it. His first stop in free agency is Kansas City tomorrow, Tuesday April 27th.

Henderson, who is a massive 6'7" and 345 pounds, will be 31 when camp starts, but he could easily be the stop-gap we need on the defensive line until we can draft and develop a nose tackle.

If he clears his physical and we sign him, then I am saying this offseason is an unequivocal success. Young, intelligent, high-character leaders, and solid, proven vets.

man oh man this would take all of the sting out of not drafting a big ugly to help the run defense. I mean, i would just be pleased as punch.
    Last edited by Coach; 04-28-2010 at 08:04 AM.

Intial report was incorrect. His workout with the Chiefs is on Wednesday. We'll have to wait two more days at least.

He played as a DE in the Jags 3-4 formations last year. He was interviewed today by Nick Wright at 610 sports radio, when asked if he would be willing to play NT instead of DE, his response was that he'd be willing to play wherever coach asked him to play.

He would be a great addition to our NT rotation.

I knew Pioli had something up his sleeve. CHIEFS CHIEFS

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Intial report was incorrect. His workout with the Chiefs is on Wednesday. We'll have to wait two more days at least.

He played as a DE in the Jags 3-4 formations last year. He was interviewed today by Nick Wright at 610 sports radio, when asked if he would be willing to play NT instead of DE, his response was that he'd be willing to play wherever coach asked him to play.

He would be a great addition to our NT rotation.
    He played DE in Jacksonville?!?! How big was their NT? Is Jax switching to a 4-3, and dont have a use for him, or do they want to go younger and cheaper?

If there are no big red flags (injuries, off-field issues that havent come to surface yet), I would hope we pick him up, and for a couple years, not just one. It would be good to have a big guy like that to teach the NT we draft next year how to be a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by northwest View Post
    I knew Pioli had something up his sleeve. CHIEFS CHIEFS
    A link to ESPN about Henderson:

Jacksonville Jaguars release former Pro Bowl defensive tackle John Henderson - ESPN

It says that he had a few off-field issues that affected his play recently. They make it sound like personal problems, not getting in trouble with the law.

Also, it says they tried to trade him during the draft. Im guessing, that means they probably contacted Pioli, and Pioli turned them down knowing they would probably cut him after the draft and we could get him without giving up picks. If we sign him, Im going to count it in with the draft, and raise our grade to an A-/B+ (from a B-).

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    If there are no big red flags (injuries, off-field issues that havent come to surface yet), I would hope we pick him up, and for a couple years, not just one. It would be good to have a big guy like that to teach the NT we draft next year how to be a beast.
    For as long as I can remember, this guy has been an awesome force on the field, and you heard nothing bad about him off the field.

Get him!

I have tears in my eyes thinking about signing him and Adalius MAN our defense will suddenly be scary !

Henderson is a freaking beast. At first I was thinking he's a bit too lanky to play the nose in a 3-4, but I'm sure his strength would make up for it, and he'd probably be a lot better than Smith or Edwards. Signing him would be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by frazier1te View Post
    For as long as I can remember, this guy has been an awesome force on the field, and you heard nothing bad about him off the field.

Get him!
    Welcome back!

Too tall and plays way too high to be a 3-4 NT...He would be a DE

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppachief View Post
    I have tears in my eyes thinking about signing him and Adalius MAN our defense will suddenly be scary !
    I dont have real high hopes for Adalius signing with us, but I can really see this guy coming here.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast