Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thigpen not happy

Thumbs up Thigpen not happy

Around The Web
    Thigpen wants to be a starting quarterback

Posted: Around The Web | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Kansas City Chiefs, Matt Cassel, Tyler Thigpen
    Chiefs QB Tyler Thigpen wants to be the starting quarterback. And you could even argue that Thigpen played well down the stretch for the Chiefs as one of the lone bright spots in a dreary season in Kansas City. But while you have to like the competitive fire from Thigpen, the Chiefs didn’t bring in Matt Cassel and his $14 million salary to back up the former seventh-round pick.
    Thigpen told the Kansas City Star that he’s “not OK” with being the backup again. He felt that he was going to come into the 2009 season as the starter. But he understands the situation — being Cassel’s backup — and will push on.
    • “It’s life,” Thigpen said Sunday. “Everything happens for a reason. You may not see the reason right now, but I know there’s a reason that they brought a guy in like Matt.
    • “I’m behind him, and all I’m doing is pushing him, making him better. Hopefully me doing that is going to make this team better.”
    Thigpen opened the 2009 season as the team’s No. 3 quarterback, but he went on to start 11 games for the Chiefs. He threw for 2,608 yards, 18 touchdowns and 12 interceptions for a passer rating of 76.0.

I for one like this, the harder Thigpen tries to win the starting job . The harder Cassel will try. It's win win if they continue to push each other week in and week out. The better both will play whichever one starts.

thigpen will be a good qb in this league one day it is not his fault his head coach last year sucked i for one say let the best qb win and i cannot wait to see them battle it out

For the first time since Grbac/Gannon, we have two good QB's on this roster.

I think we need both men on this roster, because it's likely Cassell won't play every game.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    For the first time since Grbac/Gannon, we have two good QB's on this roster.

I think we need both men on this roster, because it's likely Cassell won't play every game.
    What are you talking about? We didn't trade for Cassel to rotate he and Thigpen in and out of games.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    If the Vikings wanted him, they shouldn't have cut him in the first place!
    Well, they were just trying to keep him on their prctice squad. I bet they would hate having to trade a high draft pick for him now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Garilla View Post
    I like Thigpen alot, but I never have seen him as a permanent starter for the Chiefs, I have seen glimpses that looked inspiring, but not a complete package. I really don't think Thigpen could be a starter anywhere in the league yet, he needs to get a few more wins behind him first.
    Hard to get any wins if you aren't starting.

But I agree that he probably isn't starting material. He played well with the situation that he was in. But I don't see a bonafide starter there.(Yet)

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    ??? What are you talkin about bro? Joe Montana? This thread is about Tyler Thigpen.

i was responding to a post in this thread about joe montana being a great CHIEFS QB, don't ya know

You know...

The Vikings still need a starting QB and they WERE the team that drafted him. Wonder what kind of draft pick package we could get for him. I'm fine with Croyle as the backup.

lol... never mind. didn't read them all.

thigpen won't be starter no matter what and that is a crime. we all know that the coaches set their mind on cassel. I know they said it's a open spot but that's a bunch of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    You know...

The Vikings still need a starting QB and they WERE the team that drafted him. Wonder what kind of draft pick package we could get for him. I'm fine with Croyle as the backup.
    Agreed. And I know that it is unwise to consider such factors, but I bet The Vikes would be unwilling to offer what is fair for a Thigpen, based on the fact that they already had him at the price of a seventh round pick.

Much like if we were to try and start anyone but Cassel, or moving Albert to OG. (Hypothetically)

Eventhough it may be the best thing for your team right now, thoughts like "That means we drafted an OG in the middle of the first round last season", or "Now we are paying a backup QB starter money" still have an effect on people's decisions.

So the thoughts of "we just gave this guy away for absolutely nothing, and now we are supposed to give away a second round pick to get him back? We only gave a seventh round pick to get him in the first place!" may keep them out of even bidding on Thigpen, no matter how much they may need him.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    What are you talking about? We didn't trade for Cassel to rotate he and Thigpen in and out of games.
    I'm talking about depth at QB. Occasionally QB's in this league have been known to get injured from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I'm talking about depth at QB. Occasionally QB's in this league have been known to get injured from time to time.
    Yeah just a little bit

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast