Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raiders just traded for richard seymour

Default Raiders just traded for richard seymour

Just got the text.

seymour is getting up there in age so to give up a first round pick for him is not that wise of a move and pretty much why the raiders are well the raiders. Russel is a bust pretty much he wont be much more then a backup in the nfl. Unless he can get out of oakland maybe then something can be made of him.

smart move for OAK??? only solves one piece of their many problems and its only temporary....ANOTHER smart move for hoodie cause please believe, there will be a rookie salary cap in the next CBA and OAK will not be good anytime soon....kudos to that evil ******* Bellicheck once again

Quote Originally Posted by lucky_lefty View Post
    smart move for OAK??? only solves one piece of their many problems and its only temporary....ANOTHER smart move for hoodie cause please believe, there will be a rookie salary cap in the next CBA and OAK will not be good anytime soon....kudos to that evil ******* Bellicheck once again
    Sure it's a good move for Oakland. They are going to sign Seymour long-term (I don't believe they'd make the trade without that committment). He'll give them a dependable presence on their DL for the next 4-5 years. All of a sudden the Raiders don't have bad personnel. The question is suddenly coaching and teammork, not talent.

If Cable turns out to be John Madden and Russell turns out to be a legit QB, they could make a playoff run. I don't think either of those will happen, but the Raiders 2009 offseason hasn't been nearly as bad as people think. They clearly made the right choice in not taking Crabtree, their FA haul wasn't bad, and this trade makes sense.

If they were any other team but Oakland and any other owner but Al Davis, people would be hailing them as geniuses right now.

I don't think Seymour would resign. Better chance of Pioli bringing him here than staying in that disfunctional organization out there in the Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Sure it's a good move for Oakland. They are going to sign Seymour long-term (I don't believe they'd make the trade without that committment). He'll give them a dependable presence on their DL for the next 4-5 years. All of a sudden the Raiders don't have bad personnel. The question is suddenly coaching and teammork, not talent.

If Cable turns out to be John Madden and Russell turns out to be a legit QB, they could make a playoff run. I don't think either of those will happen, but the Raiders 2009 offseason hasn't been nearly as bad as people think. They clearly made the right choice in not taking Crabtree, their FA haul wasn't bad, and this trade makes sense.

If they were any other team but Oakland and any other owner but Al Davis, people would be hailing them as geniuses right now.
    They can't sign Richard long term they're cap restricted this year going into the season after paying the gargantuan contracts of Nnamdi, JMac, and Hey-werd Bey. They've basically inherited Seymour for a one year deal. After this season he's going to hit the market as an UFA. Unless they want to spend a franchise tag on him next year they've only hired his services for this year.

The raiders were already in the lower half of NFL teams in terms of cap space going into the off season. This is a curious and ridiculous move considering Seymour turns 30 this year, is a 3-4 End with a couple of good years left in him, and Oakland running the 4-3 base set which, from what I heard, Seymour has been somewhat average in considering the Pats are moving to more 4-3 fronts.

I think this is a bone headed move. The Raider are giving away at least a top 10 pick away for a year of service for an aging vet not even tailored to play their style of defense.

Once again the Pats prove why they're the best team in football when it comes to roster management and planning for the future.

I agree with JM, the Raiders are likely going to sign him long term sometime this season. Particularly with the possibility of an uncapped season coming, but who knows.

It's curious all the movement that's been going between the Patriots and the AFC West this year too.

Here's how I look at it. By the time the Raiders are (possibly) ready to compete, Seymour is going to be a player well past his prime eating a very large portion of their salary cap. The pick they just traded could very likely be a top 5 pick in a rookie pay scale, so it won't be as expensive as that pick would be now.

The Patriots can start Brace in Seymour's place and it won't be a gigantic dropoff, especially not in the long term. They can now guarantee themselves the ability to extend Wilfork, and will also have that potential top 5 pick to draft Seymour's replacement in a couple years if Brace doesn't pan out, or perhaps use it for maybe their next QB since Brady will be 34 at that point. They could also trade the pick sometime between now and then.

The Patriots win this deal, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgers4MVP View Post
    Why a 2011 1st rounder,did oaky not want to give up the 2010
    The Pats are taking a chance that there will be a rookie salary cap in 2011.

Brace (whoever he is) must be pretty good if he made Richard Seymour expendable...i think the Pats took a step back on defense THIS year, but this is no question a huge step forward long term....Pats know how to draft 1st rounders...nice work Bellichick...

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Garilla View Post
    No prob man

I cant believe the old man actually made a move like this.... And judging by the way he uses his first round picks, he didn't lose anything.
    Sooo true .. best move ever.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast