Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Additional Officials Needed

Default Additional Officials Needed

I wonder if we don't need a couple more zebras on the field for games.

Replay is nice and works the way it is, but with so many missed calls, I wonder if adding a couple of officials would make the game better.

I wonder is adding another back judge would be helpful for pass interference calls.

I also wonder how an additional referee, perhaps and assistant referee would help in protecting the quarterback from late hits.

Your thoughts?

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

PI calls should be made challengeable. Too many have screwed teams over. Whether they weren't really PI's or should've been called illegal contact. Or cuz the ball is not even close to being catchable!!!
    MAKE WHOOLIES!!!

Joseph
    The Real SIC Riders
    www.SCSclothing.com
    www.SoCalStunts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    I think they would have to make PI a more definite rule as opposed to leaving it open to any type of interpretation. There would have to be a definite line between incidental contact and PI. Im not advocating that this happens, Im just sayin'
    And this is at the crux of the matter.

Flowers got on Johnson earlier in that play. Technically, I believe the contact he made early on would have been called a penalty. Then later Johnson did get into Flowers, that contact might have been incidental, it might not, it did not change Flower's direction at all, but Johnson did change direction right about the time the contact was made.

So there is the problem. I could have seen that be a case where it was offsetting penalties, then what happens? The play resulted in a catch, it was a first down catch and it was a huge gain. The extra ten yards they tacked on at the end of the play may have made a difference, who knows for sure.

Ultimately, these kinds of calls are always going to happen. For those that say they have never seen a penalty effect the outcome of the game, well you have not watched much football. A penalty is ALWAYS meant to effect the outcome of the game. And yeah, there are a lot of bad calls.

I am reminded a couple of years ago. Vince Young was about to get sacked, the defender thought he had thrown the ball and did not tackle Young in order to avoid a Roughing the Passer penalty, however, Young did not throw the ball and when the defender pulled up, Young sprinted for a first down.

That call was a BS call, but it had to do with referees interpreting the rules too harshly in an effort to protect players. The Helmet to helmet hit penalties, and hitting a defenseless receiver are getting to the point that we are going to see more and more games come down to officiating.

Something needs be done, add another official or two, or review the calls. Reviewing all calls would not be feasible, but any call that results in a penalty that would give a team a first down should be reviewed in some way.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

yea i mean cmon.. in theory a pass interference call could go for 99 yards. And we see 40 and 50 yard PI's all the time. Reviewable PI calls is common sense imo.

you would use them all on D-fense and not be able to use them on a catch or fumble review, ect ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Could you also challenge non-calls? if not, I see the refs letting everyone get away with bloody murder late in the game instead of having their calls second guessed by replay.
    I hadn't considered that.

Unfortunately, I think Coach is right on this one. This often happens in the playoffs in hockey and basketball ... it's exciting but annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by kckidd8870 View Post
    you would use them all on D-fense and not be able to use them on a catch or fumble review, ect ect.

... you have a choice to use them. Wouldnt you rather have the OPTION to use them on a 60 yard penalty?

There is no good reason not to implement it.

As far as refs letting people get away with stuff, the NFL has the most professional refs in the biz. They are going to do the job no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by hometeam View Post
    ... you have a choice to use them. Wouldnt you rather have the OPTION to use them on a 60 yard penalty?

There is no good reason not to implement it.

As far as refs letting people get away with stuff, the NFL has the most professional refs in the biz. They are going to do the job no matter what.
    I'm not so sure about that. There's probably been just as many games where obvious calls were missed or called that screws a team over as there is in basketball. But thats just the way it is. I think some games are still rigged.
    MAKE WHOOLIES!!!

Joseph
    The Real SIC Riders
    www.SCSclothing.com
    www.SoCalStunts.com

If nothing else, it could just be done like all reviews in OT or the final minutes of a half.

Only reviewable by the booth.

I think the refs would be able to accept having the officials in the booth get the correct call, as to being despised by millions of fans, for a simple mistake.

They often throw a flag and then pick it up when another on-field official tells them what they saw.

If you have ever reffed a game for JFL or any youth team sport, you know, that when you aren't real sure about the call, you would love to have video confirmation. You never want to be the guy who gets blamed for costing someone the game like that.

Why do we want more refs to call more penalties? Not only does this drive the game to a grinding halt, there will be instances where this will bite both teams in the ***.

Quote Originally Posted by melted ice View Post
    Why do we want more refs to call more penalties? Not only does this drive the game to a grinding halt, there will be instances where this will bite both teams in the ***.
    I don't want more officials, I want Pass Interference calls to be challengeable.
    MAKE WHOOLIES!!!

Joseph
    The Real SIC Riders
    www.SCSclothing.com
    www.SoCalStunts.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123