Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defense Question

Default Defense Question

I just read a brief article on the Chiefs official site, saying we'll use an odd man front; a 3-5. Who is the extra player? Just a safety lining up in the box on a regular basis? I'm not to familiar with the 3-4 or 3-5 since we've been a 4-3 team for as long as i can remember

we're making the switch to the 3-4 this season, which is a front with three down lineman and four linebackers. This is a defense that has become very popular in the NFL in the past few years, and it can be implemented very effectively if you have the right personel. Both our early draft picks are ideal Defensive ends in the 3-4, with Jackson playing a true 5-technique (lining up on the outside shade the offensive tackle) and Magee being more of a three technique (lining up outside the opposite guard). In this scheme most of the speed pass rushing is done by the outside linebackers, so, for example we will probably end up moving Tamba Hali to an outside linebacker spot.

The main issue is that the whole key to making the 3-4 work is the nose tackle position. This is one of the most punishing positions in all of football. Last year we spent our #5 overall pick on Glenn Dorsey and it would be great if we could utilize him at the nose, but there are questions as to whether he would be able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by sammyboy909 View Post
    we're making the switch to the 3-4 this season, which is a front with three down lineman and four linebackers. This is a defense that has become very popular in the NFL in the past few years, and it can be implemented very effectively if you have the right personel. Both our early draft picks are ideal Defensive ends in the 3-4, with Jackson playing a true 5-technique (lining up on the outside shade the offensive tackle) and Magee being more of a three technique (lining up outside the opposite guard). In this scheme most of the speed pass rushing is done by the outside linebackers, so, for example we will probably end up moving Tamba Hali to an outside linebacker spot.

The main issue is that the whole key to making the 3-4 work is the nose tackle position. This is one of the most punishing positions in all of football. Last year we spent our #5 overall pick on Glenn Dorsey and it would be great if we could utilize him at the nose, but there are questions as to whether he would be able to do it.
    well and good, but he's asking about the 3-5-3.

basically at times we'll be stacking 8 in the box with 3 down linemen. Pollard would likely play up near the line in this formation and injure the other teams quarterback accidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    well and good, but he's asking about the 3-5-3.

basically at times we'll be stacking 8 in the box with 3 down linemen. Pollard would likely play up near the line in this formation and injure the other teams quarterback accidentally.
    Man if we could do that... I don't know, I have a real love affair going on with Pollard right now. I just see that guy hustling for all he is worth! I think he has the speed and drive to be a good pass rusher as long as we have the corners and a safety to stay back and cover the deep pass. Unfortunately, Page is NOT that guy!

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    Man if we could do that... I don't know, I have a real love affair going on with Pollard right now. I just see that guy hustling for all he is worth! I think he has the speed and drive to be a good pass rusher as long as we have the corners and a safety to stay back and cover the deep pass. Unfortunately, Page is NOT that guy!
    yeah I want to see Pollard blitz more.. while he did almost end Brady's career, the important thing for us is that he was in the backfield on that play.

I love the idea of incorporating the 3-5-3. It could confuse the offense to no end because we could be sending the house or dropping 7 or 8 back in coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    I agree on Page

This is a make or break season for Page. He better step up, or will be shipped out.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    yeah I want to see Pollard blitz more.. while he did almost end Brady's career, the important thing for us is that he was in the backfield on that play.

I love the idea of incorporating the 3-5-3. It could confuse the offense to no end because we could be sending the house or dropping 7 or 8 back in coverage.
    Hey, I think there are a lot of people out there giving Pollard a bad wrap on that incident in New England. He clearly was not intentionally kneecapping the guy. I am not saying this is what you are saying, but to even bring it up like this really gets my hackles up.

The KC press even went so far as to ask Cassell about it when he came in as if Cassel was going to say something like "Yeah I hate that Pollard for what he did to Brady!"

Come on, Pollard did not make that hit intentionally it was clear it was accidental and if you play football long enough you are going to get injured, that is how it works.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    3-5-3 is used alot at the college level in passing downs to give the appearence of blitzs and such. I know it is seldom used but it is a very effective way to desguise blitzing packages with the appearence of the zone. It's called Zone Blitz combo. You can look like your blitzing by crowding the line and back off or play loose and blitz in, it keeps an offense very honest and sometimes off balance.
    Fair enough.

LOL injure the QB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast