Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We won, but....

Default We won, but....

1)

The O-line didn't look good. I was most disappointed in Fisher whom I want so passionately to succeed. It could be that his body is still going through readjusting to the LT position after the travesty of having to play RT all season. Hopefully it's only a muscle memory issue that will go away soon. But he was overpowered on almost all plays. I thought he put extra emphasis on getting stronger this off season. Boy, it did not show!

The rest of the O-line was poor, but we all now O-lines need to gel and this one hasn't had the time to do so. But that gelling needs to come by the time the season starts or we are in deep trouble. Somewhat on the bight side, though, was the play of rookie Zack Fulton whom I did not see make rookie mistakes.

2)

Ron Parker, was bad. I don't know why, but I expected better play out of him, hoping he was one of those diamonds in the rough we might have lucked into.

3)

I soooo wanted Tyler Bray to do well.... OUCH!... In my perfect world he will develop to be our long term starter. There was one pass though that impressed me. It was a bullet completion that traveled a fair distance with velocity all from a flick of his wrist. My thought is he saw his allotment of 3rd quarter play was in danger when he finally took the field at midpoint. I think he forced it and wanted to impress immediately, given he was short of time. That's when a young QB falls into the trap of immaturity. Looking forward to the next game to see how he does.

4)

Ho hum was all I can say about another player whom I want soooo much to succeed. TE Demetrius Harris. I love this formula of making TEs out of ex basketball players. seems to be a natural transition. I'm still holding a lot of homerish hope for Harris. Go get 'em DH.

5)

I have nothing against Succop, but I've been hoping Santos would win the job, if nothing else, for the cap savings. Didn't like Santos' kickoffs.

OK, now that I have played devil's advocate, let's look at some positives and/or pleasant surprises.

1)

WR Wilson. My son, having seen him play against Iowa, had told me he'd be good, when we signed him. He certainly did not disappoint.

2)

D'Antony Thomas. Some kids are gang busters in college, but get lost in the pros. I think he will be something special.

3)

Cyrus Grey has been a favorite of mine ever since we drafted him. Quietly one of our better RBs. I like his determined style when he runs. Hopefully he will make the roster and contribute.

4)

I'm gonna keep my eyes on Malcolm Thomas. Something tells me HE could be that diamond in the rough in the secondary that I was hoping Parker was.

5)

Last but not least, TRAVIS KELCE baby!!!! Yes it was against the scrubs, but that speed for a TE?! That should be illegal! people who have compared him to Moeaki never stopped to think that Moeaki's injury history was way more extensive. Kelce's was of freak timing. Right at the start of his pro career. That's all.

I know all of this is from a small sampling of one preseason game. So things can change starting the next game. Hopefully for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Remember it took albert a few years. I remember his 1st year he was awful and needed to be replaced but then the next season he improved. Fisher just started to do one on one drills which doesnt make sense if that was true why did they put him in the game if he wasnt ready. Anyways Il give him till mid season before il start to wonder if he is a bust or not. But just remember alberts 1st 2 years wasnt great at all.
    He's already way ahead of Luke Joekel. If we must Donald Stephenson can move back over to left Tackle again and Fish can swing back to right. I agree with mid season try outs, if not performing by mid season switch them up.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Remember it took albert a few years. I remember his 1st year he was awful and needed to be replaced but then the next season he improved. Fisher just started to do one on one drills which doesnt make sense if that was true why did they put him in the game if he wasnt ready. Anyways Il give him till mid season before il start to wonder if he is a bust or not. But just remember alberts 1st 2 years wasnt great at all.
    And Albert is gone because the Chiefs didn't think he was worth what he was asking to be paid and they just let him walk without any compensation. Sorry but Fisher unfairly comes with a much higher expectation being the #1 over all than comparing him to Brandon Albert.

His season at RT last year has pretty much labeled him a bust and only hopes of him "playing out of position" is the only last hope to get some values from this pick. The problems I saw with him last year was him getting man handled and I feel moving him to LT is a mistake. However, I have not heard anything good about Donald Stephenson this year which was my argument against the move.

So regardless of him not doing one on one drills. For the few plays he was in. The same concerns are not just still there, they are now magnified and I can only HOPE that he gets better at his weakest part of the game which ironcially needs to best skills set a LT has. I can't optomistically think things will be okay with excuses of him being out of position, or he is not getting one on one work. He is a huge issue on this line but not the only Huge issue on this line. The whole line is in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    And Albert is gone because the Chiefs didn't think he was worth what he was asking to be paid and they just let him walk without any compensation. Sorry but Fisher unfairly comes with a much higher expectation being the #1 over all than comparing him to Brandon Albert.

His season at RT last year has pretty much labeled him a bust and only hopes of him "playing out of position" is the only last hope to get some values from this pick. The problems I saw with him last year was him getting man handled and I feel moving him to LT is a mistake. However, I have not heard anything good about Donald Stephenson this year which was my argument against the move.

So regardless of him not doing one on one drills. For the few plays he was in. The same concerns are not just still there, they are now magnified and I can only HOPE that he gets better at his weakest part of the game which ironcially needs to best skills set a LT has. I can't optomistically think things will be okay with excuses of him being out of position, or he is not getting one on one work. He is a huge issue on this line but not the only Huge issue on this line. The whole line is in trouble.
    I think there is more hope then playing out of position with Fisher

1. He was a ROOKIE. People forget that. They see the few rookies who are able to come in and right away make an major impact and make that the normal way. Those are the exceptions. More often then not rookies come in and struggle when they are getting their feet wet. Fisher was no different in that case.

2. The improvement he showed by the end of the year. While I can't say that he was playing at a high level I did see a MAJOR improvement in his play by the end of the year. That's what I look for in Rookies for hope. If they show improvement I'm always looking forward to seeing what they look like year 2. I'm looking forward to seeing Fisher in year 2.

I was vocal in the off season that I think they are mishandling Fisher. I think they are setting him up to fail. I mean they brought him in ask him to change position from right to left which is a bigger adjustment then most think then right as he's progressing in that spot they are going to move him right back and he's going to have to adjust back to the spot he was playing before. It's a mess. But I will trust the Reid knows what he's doing and hope that Fisher does well. But I haven't been a fan of how they have handled him at all. But we shall see how this all works. They let Albert walk not only due to money which he wasn't worth his asking price IMO but they are taking a gamble on Fisher's upside. So we all better hope it works.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

^^ Plus they will get a compensatory pick for Albert's departure. As I said before, Fisher will probably perform better in his 2nd season, then what Albert did in his 2nd season in 2009.

My concern is Jeff Allen at LG and he was the chief culprit that caused that sack to happen last Thursday night. I'm hoping LDT keeps progressing and beats him out of the LG position.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin5772002 View Post
    from what Reid said in his post game interview the kickers were instructed to keep the ball in play. Succup kept sailing them out and Santos did what he was told to do on knockoffs.
    Yes I heard this to AFTER my thread was posted. I guess that puts Santos slightly ahead. It sounded like Succup went rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Malcom Thomas. Do you mean Malcom Bronson? If so I am going to keep an eye on him too. I liked his ball awareness.
    YES. I actually said Bronson in my mind and still typed Thomas. Bizarre!

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Not to make excuses, but according to this link here, Fisher has not participated in any 1-on-1 OL/DL drills until today.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article...3-b244d669528eson, as I believed this would set his development at LT back a year and he probably wouldn't fully arrive until year 3. Time will tell.
    Good point. I'm sure he will be a solid LT in time. I just hope he'll get there quickly. His arrival will be the most important factor in the gelling of the O-line.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    The refs are going to be calling a LOT of defensive PI calls this year. They are told to make an emphasis on contact past 5 yds and def holding. This is going to hurt teams that play man press (I.e. Us, the Seahwaks, etc).
    Welcome to NFL's "Peyton's Lombardi" project. They will do all they can to have Manning get his second SB championship. If our guys breath in his or his receivers' face they'll be flagged. just watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    Welcome to NFL's "Peyton's Lombardi" project. They will do all they can to have Manning get his second SB championship. If our guys breath in his or his receivers' face they'll be flagged. just watch.
    This is probably true. And it may bite us in the butt this year. But no team is capable of beating the Zebras if they have an "agenda" especially an NFL-ordered agenda. So we have to field a defense that is designed to defend a pass-happy NFL. I wish we had more strength in the secondary, but if you don't have that, the best choice is to pressure the enemy quarterback. Once the NFL GIVES PM and Elway another Super Bowl things will go back to normal and our style of defense should be very effective.

The thing is this...This year, I hope KC plays a game against Denver where we don't shoot ourselves in the foot, in addition to what the zebras do to us, especially like what happened in the second game last year, where we drive the ball straight down the field only to throw an INT at the goal line. Not to mention all the dropped passes.

With that being said, after what happened last year, figure out a way to get in PM's face...That ball is up for grabs. Pass rush, there is no substitute. That's why Dee Ford's in KC, that's why TJ got sent to Altanta in favor of Vance Walker.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast