Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking ahead to the draft

Default Looking ahead to the draft

It appears that we will be drafting either 11th or 12th. We finished tied with seattle at 7-9, I didn't look at the tie-breaking procedures but SBnation is claiming it comes down to a coin flip. We should be able to draft a very good player from this position. Johnathon Martin, Reilly Reiff and David DeCastro are my top three realistic targets.

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    After watching Stanford last night I would be happy with Martin or DeCastro. They looked like a couple of studs last night. Other than a LB'er making a pro move on a RB to get to Luck I don't think he got touched while in the pocket.
    I thought martin looked good.... but decastro looked like a beast. He moved his guy backwards on every running play, destroyed the edge every time he pulled and didn't allow penetration on passing plays. I don't know what to think about drafting a guard that high but its a big need

Quote Originally Posted by toyotapower View Post
    I thought martin looked good.... but decastro looked like a beast. He moved his guy backwards on every running play, destroyed the edge every time he pulled and didn't allow penetration on passing plays. I don't know what to think about drafting a guard that high but its a big need
    I love how they showed him moving his guy 4 yards off the ball and then when the guy fell down over the LB'er he helped the center push his guy. Dude's a beast!

Both of them are top 15 picks so I wouldn't be upset with us picking either one. DeCastro might be considered a little high at 11/12 but it's not like we can't use him immediately. Can't even imagine what our line would look like with Asamoah, Hudson and DeCastro as our interior. Did we just run the ball up the middle for another 4 yard gain?? Let's keep on doing it til they stop us!

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    I love how they showed him moving his guy 4 yards off the ball and then when the guy fell down over the LB'er he helped the center push his guy. Dude's a beast!

Both of them are top 15 picks so I wouldn't be upset with us picking either one. DeCastro might be considered a little high at 11/12 but it's not like we can't use him immediately. Can't even imagine what our line would look like with Asamoah, Hudson and DeCastro as our interior. Did we just run the ball up the middle for another 4 yard gain?? Let's keep on doing it til they stop us!
    I would love it if we could trade back 3-4 picks, get another 3rd rounder or even a 4th and pick up DeCastro. I read somewhere (i think on Walterfootball or Drafttek) that Stanford runs to his side or has him pull in front of the RB on like 2/3rd or more of their running plays because he is that good.

Additonally, he is from Stanford so he actually has to be academically smart (Stanford doesnt drop their admission standards very much for athletes). And he is a team leader (he may be a captain). All of those things are supposedly what Pioli likes to consider when drafting people.

Asamoah, Hudson and Decastro on the interior does sound good. REAL good.
    The Chiefs are Back!

Stanford junior offensive tackle Jonathan Martin announced in an interview with ESPN on Tuesday that he plans to forgo his senior season and apply for entry into the 2012 NFL draft.

Martin, whose Cardinal lost to Oklahoma State in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl on Monday night, is rated as the third best offensive lineman in college football by NFL.com draft expert Bucky Brooks.

"It's time to take the next step," said Martin. "Hard work. I pride myself on competing to be the hardest worker on the field."

Other notable players who also recently announced their decision to apply for entry into the draft include:

» Mississippi State defensive tackle Fletcher Cox, who had 56 tackles this season, including 14.5 tackles for a loss and five sacks. He was named the SEC defensive lineman of the week four times and was named to the AP's All-SEC first team.

» Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict, who was the Sun Devils' second-leading tackler this season with 69, including seven for losses. The junior also had an interception and fumble recovery. As a sophomore, Burfict led the team in tackles with 90 and was a second-team All-Pac-10 selection.

» Iowa offensive tackle Riley Reiff, who earned a reputation as one of college's best offensive linemen during his run with the Hawkeyes. Reiff started all but two games in his college career after redshirting in 2008.

» Defensive end Whitney Merciluo, who led the nation with 16 sacks this season. He also broke Illinois and Big Ten records by forcing nine fumbles. His 22.5 tackles for loss in 2011 led the Big Ten and ranked second in the nation. Mercilus earned consensus first-team All-America honors and won the Hendricks Award, which goes to the nation's top defensive end.

» Rutgers junior wide receiver Mohamed Sanu, who shattered both Big East and Rutgers single-season records for receptions this season, finished the year with 115 catches, 1,206 yards and seven touchdowns.

» Former Nevada running back Mike Ball, who was the Wolf Pack's leading rusher before he was dismissed from the team in November for repeated violation of team rules. Ball rushed for 704 yards and scored seven touchdowns in 2011 and is the school's all-time leader in kick returns with 1,695 yards on 70 returns.

» North Carolina junior defensive end Donte Paige-Moss, via the school's official athletic website. Paige-Moss played in all 13 games in 2011 and posted 29 tackles, including four tackles for losses and two sacks. He also broke up two passes and had two quarterback hurries. In Carolina's loss to Missouri in the Independence Bowl on Dec. 26, Paige-Moss tore the ACL in his right knee.

» Wake Forest wide receiver Chris Givens, via the Wilmington Star News. Givens caught 83 passes and scored nine touchdowns to earn first-team All-ACC recognition this year.

No way would Pioli draft the headcase Burfict. He's good for one or two fifteen yard personal fouls a game.
    The Chiefs are Back!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123