Thread: Chiefs 3-4 Question

Default Chiefs 3-4 Question

I'm used to the Eagle's 4-3 defense, where one of the outside LBs comes out in nickel. In a 4-3, or specifically the Chief's 4-3, who in the front 7 comes out in nickel?

Quote Originally Posted by FranciscoD'anconia View Post
    I'm used to the Eagle's 4-3 defense, where one of the outside LBs comes out in nickel. In a 4-3, or specifically the Chief's 4-3, who in the front 7 comes out in nickel?
    It's one of the inside linebackers...So this was Jovan Belcher and later (for obvious reasons) Brandon Siler. Both are more run stoppers while Derrick Johnson is a little more versatile.

This left the two OLB's Hali and Houston in for pass rushing or coverage, and Derrick Johnson in the middle.

I assume you mean in the Chiefs 3-4. The person who typically came out in the past was the second inside linebacker and we would get an extra safety or CB. However, the Chiefs last year ran a lot of different formations. At times it looked like they would run basically a 2-4 or a 2-3 where there would only be 2 down linemen and 3 or 4 LBS and 5 in the secondary.

With a different coordinator, I can assume they would stick to a base 3-4 and pull one LB for a DB.

Andy Studebaker got thrown into the mix, too.

Right right, I meant "Chiefs 3-4". Reason I'm asking, I keep hearing all this ILB talk as far as "needs" but since teams are in nickel 60% of the time, the other ILB that they're all talking about, really isn't even a starter. I mean, maybe technically starts, but plays less than half of the snaps, so it's not as crucial as other positions, like DE and stuff (assuming you guys get rid of those busts you've drafted, which I'm assuming you will).

Does Poe stay in on third and long, or do they bring in a smaller/quicker defensive lineman?

Right right, I meant "Chiefs 3-4". Reason I'm asking, I keep hearing all this ILB talk as far as "needs" but since teams are in nickel 60% of the time, the other ILB that they're all talking about, really isn't even a starter. I mean, maybe technically starts, but plays less than half of the snaps, so it's not as crucial as other positions, like DE and stuff (assuming you guys get rid of those busts you've drafted, which I'm assuming you will).

Does Poe stay in on third and long, or do they bring in a smaller/quicker defensive lineman?
    That's what I've been saying re: LB as a need. They just need a big meathead bruiser for run downs.

Poe started to play 3 downs towards the end of the year.

Towards the end of the season, I think Poe was in on all 3 downs, but I'm not sure. He is extremely quick and with more training and a system that utilizes him correctly, hd should become a good pass rusher.

I agree that ILB isn't a strong need, but the 2nd ILB is a bit of a weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    That's what I've been saying re: LB as a need. They just need a big meathead bruiser for run downs.

Poe started to play 3 downs towards the end of the year.

an ILB has to be strong enuf to stuff the run, fast enuf to blitz, and smart enuf to drop into coverage...and yes we desperately need one of those
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian