Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cassel signs multi-year contract

Default Cassel signs multi-year contract

According to the KC Star, Cassel has signed a multi-year contract.

Chiefs sign Matt Cassel to multi-year contract | Red Zone

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    You sure you don't want to correct my grammer here? LMAO!!!!
    I am not saying Trent Green was a bad QB, I just don't think he was great. As for our defense during that stint, you are correct. Now put the Offense that Trent manned with the defense from the 93 - 94 season and that might be the best team ever assembled , that is the Chiefs issue though , it seems we can never get that perfect balance that gets us n the big game. Either our Offense can't do it or our defense can't stop it. I think we finally have a GM in Scott Pioli that is capable of bringing in the players to get it done on both sides of the ball.
    I'm not going to comment on that, as it seems that you're the only person who's not over it (including the person the comment was directed toward).

That being said, you are correct, we have been pretty inept at keeping a balance between offense and defense over the last 15 or so years. I think you're right though, I think Pioli represents our best chance at building a solid, competitive team on both sides of the ball.

Oh, and as far as Green is concerned: I realize that stats don't tell the whole story, but any QB who can compile back-to-back-to-back 4000 yard seasons is a beast, IMO.

You sure you don't want to correct my grammer here? LMAO!!!!
    I am not saying Trent Green was a bad QB, I just don't think he was great. As for our defense during that stint, you are correct. Now put the Offense that Trent manned with the defense from the 93 - 94 season and that might be the best team ever assembled , that is the Chiefs issue though , it seems we can never get that perfect balance that gets us n the big game. Either our Offense can't do it or our defense can't stop it. I think we finally have a GM in Scott Pioli that is capable of bringing in the players to get it done on both sides of the ball.
    That I agree with 100 percent.
    SHUT IT

Keep in mind that in order for him to do that, he had a ton of help from the OLine, the running game, the receivers and most importantly the coaching staff for calling the right plays and having the right people on the field. He did his job .
    Just for the record, this has been blown out of proportion to yet again change the subject of conversation. This is suppose to be conversation regarding Matt Cassell and his new contract which I must say I absolutely love. We finally have a young QB that is going to stay with us for at least stay with us for 4 years and if he is all we think, 6 years. Our new face of the franchise is Matt Cassell
    You are right about the O-LINE. They are what makes it happen...Or not. lol

i honestly dont mind holding onto thigpen....we have seen first hand how quickly an nfl team can go through its QB's....if Cassell goes down at some point this season (which under our Offensive Line, certainly is a possibility), then we will have a Cassell clone in Tyler Thigpen....no sense in trading him for a 3rd or 4th rounder that might not help us for years down the road...

Quote Originally Posted by SDChief09 View Post
    Its simple.

Rivers/Manning about to get new contracts which would raise what we have to pay him, and if we had gone franchise tag this year and next, the guarenteed money would be nearly identical between 2 and 6 years...

I love the contract, If ANYONE in Chiefs history has come in and done a better job of leading than cassel, then I missed it...Trent was great, but he didnt have the "it" factor that cassel has, that moxy, confidence, and overall leadership qualities that makes you a star.

Factor in the chances of him getting in trouble(then factor in our other option at the time Sanchez, who has a nickname of "Dirty") and Id say we came out on top.

Can Cassel flop? Sure. But for now, he looks like a guy that will make KC fun to watch for 5-6 years.

I do want to mention that I had to add that in no way am I trying to take anything away from trent green as a player or a leader.

and face it. Thigpen looks to pass, then runs, Cassel looks to pass, runs, looks to pass, then finally crosses the LoS
    Thigpen was 54 percent completion percentage last year with Tony Gonzalez, and with all the times he took off with it,
    and all the times he dumped it to TG, who had a crazy reception percentage.

Without Gonzo, thiggy slips under 50 percent completions...and lets face it, I liked the guy, i did, but I couldnt sit there and say he was the future, I think hes a great backup QB, thats all. When he scored a TD in Atlanta down 20, and gets hits semi late, not really, and starts crying about it, I saw a guy that was not a leader.

Matt Cassel would never do that
    OK, I have been quiet here for a while, but I have to speak up here.

We just paid a tremendous amount of money for a guy that we have only seen play 16 games. Those 16 games were played for a team that is arguably better than we are. I hate to be negative, but we just don't know enough about how this guy is going to perform. Any statements made to the contrary are wrong, we have not seen enough of him to know his leadership potential, we have not seen him in the face of Sunday after Sunday being pounded by defensive players because the offensive line is swiss cheese, we have not seen enough of him.

In truth, we just gave a huge amount of money to a guy that is essentially just like Tyler Thigpen. I don't get it, and I clearly admit that the GM and Coaches are in a better positioin to make this call, but we are hung with this now and if Cassel goes out and flops or gets injured, then we are stuck with him.

Sorry, I just don't get this one.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    OK, I have been quiet here for a while, but I have to speak up here.

We just paid a tremendous amount of money for a guy that we have only seen play 16 games. Those 16 games were played for a team that is arguably better than we are. I hate to be negative, but we just don't know enough about how this guy is going to perform. Any statements made to the contrary are wrong, we have not seen enough of him to know his leadership potential, we have not seen him in the face of Sunday after Sunday being pounded by defensive players because the offensive line is swiss cheese, we have not seen enough of him.

In truth, we just gave a huge amount of money to a guy that is essentially just like Tyler Thigpen. I don't get it, and I clearly admit that the GM and Coaches are in a better positioin to make this call, but we are hung with this now and if Cassel goes out and flops or gets injured, then we are stuck with him.

Sorry, I just don't get this one.
    I'll agree that the Patriots as a whole were a better team then the Chiefs last year and are going into this season but thats about it.

I have to disagree with the notion of 'we don't know if he can take the punishment' theory. He did take 50 some odd sacks last season and I have to imagine was knocked down more then a handful of times in 16 regular season games. Now whether that be due to problems of his own (I.E. holding on to the ball to long or what not) or issues with the line is debateable (Bernard Pollard did take Brady out against that 'phenomenal Pats OLine) or a compliment of both of them can be argued either way.

Regardless of the conclusion to that question the fact still remains that Cassel did manage to make it through the entirety (the exception being in the time Tom Brady played) of the 16 game season while suffering more sacks then Thigpen. He did take a beating last season and was still standing at the end.

There is some truth in the statement in that we don't know how well or poorly Cassel will play for the Chiefs.

That's a given.

It takes time for any new player (a QB especially) to adjust to a new scheme but that's the name of the game. The good thing being that this entire team is learning it together but this is about Cassel. As a professional athelete its his job to make that transition. I'm sure there will be a fair share of bumps and bruises during that learning curve but the basic premise/mechanics of the game are still the same from team to team when it comes to his predicament. I believe he has those mechanics down its just the scheme he has to learn.

AS for money....well...

When dealing with a situation as volatile as this you have to choose the lesser of two evils. The Chiefs had several factors weighing against them when dealing with Cassel:

1) The salary cap surplus they have

2) The looming mini camp and unsigned draft choices (Tyson Jackson in particular)

3) The aformentioned above with the inevitable contract extension talks with other QBs (Rivers and Manning)

Contracts of this nature are risky by default. The franchise tag invevitably demands a lot of money in and of itself for a single season and had the looming contract negotiations of high dollar QBs coming up next season (Manning/Rivers) not demanded the attention of the front offices next season it would have been in the best interest of the Chiefs to wait this trial season.

Everyone's heard the same arguements but they still apply.

Do the Chiefs wait and pay Cassel double what he makes now after this season assuming he plays up to expectations and cripple your future cap room because of it?

or

Do the Chiefs sign him now to a reasonable long term deal and work with what they have in cap surplus and continue to look forward to continual building of this team's long term success hoping that he pans out?

Do you risk now or later? Its a tough choice to make.

i think every1 here is sweating abit 2 much here. This contract is front loaded. He still gets his 15 million 4 the franchise tag. then with in the next couple of years alittle less. if he were 2 go unsigned into next year he would have been guaranteed 150% pay raise. that would have been over 20 million. this deal makes more sense. Pioli knows what he is doing. i like the deal for 1. because if he doesnt pan out with in the first 3 years his cap number drops off the cliff. it is good for Cassel and the Chiefs.

Locking up a franchise QB before solidifying the OL is a scary proposition with a bad history, so I really hope it works out for us. That's my only concern. The contract is fine since it's front loaded, so the potential of us being screwed is much less. Less guaranteed money than Stafford despite being more proven. I'm kind of indifferent for now, with the potential to be very happy.

On top of that, Terrell Suggs got more than Cassel!! So, either we got an extremely good deal based on Sugg's deal, or Suggs is highly overpaid.

Personally, I don't think Suggs was worth that kind of money.

Also, we still have some cap space and I think our O-Line will be improved over last year.

You have to understand that this will be the first year in while that we actually have some stability in leadership. That can make a ton of difference in attitude, determination and self-discipline.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast