Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Not impressed with new regime.

Default Not impressed with new regime.

In the third year of the Pioli/Haley era, one would think KC would be maybe 3/4 of the way to building a championship team, and getting to the playoffs last year gave me a lot of hope. But now this team is going in the wrong direction.
    Many on here will blame injuries. I disagree. Good teams overcome injuries. Good teams draft depth. Both our offensive and defensive lines are horrible. Just flat out bad. There is no excuse for this. None.
    I posted 3 years ago that this team needed to build from inside out - build the lines first. I got shot down.
    So who is accountable for this mess? Clark? Pioli? Haley?
    With over 30 million in cap room, why couldn't we make some strides on getting our lines fixed?
    WHY?
    Why are we still trying to squeeze 4/3 players into a 3/4 defense?
    WHY?
    I'm not sure who is making the decisions on this team regarding player personnel, coaches, and philosophy, but whoever it is - is failing. Time to re-evaluate.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Well, I digress. Building solid offensive and defensive lines is hurting this team much more than losing a RB or a safety. We could have done it, we should have done it, and we didn't do it.
    I'm not excusing the Chiefs for not building good lines but getting a great O-line is one of the hardest things in the NFL to do. You can have 4 great Offensive linemen and one bad one and the line would still suck. Great O-linemen are hard to find in free agency because when a team does get good linemen they tend to hang on to them. And in the draft, a first round pick is just as likely to be a bust as not, and a 5th rounder is just as likely to be very good as not. About the only thing you can do is draft a bunch of O=linemen every year and keep the best ones, but then the team suffers at other positions of need. The Bears have been trying to improve their O-line for years and it's still not too good.

Defensive linemen are a little bit easier to evaluate, but there usually aren't that many good ones coming out of college and most of them are either weak against the run or against the pass. i agree that both lines are vitally important to a team's success, but most teams have a tendency to use early picks on skill position players (QB, WR, RB, defensive backs) thinking they can get good linemen in later rounds and that just further exacerbates the problem. They are right about that but it's so hard to figure out which late round picks will be the good ones.

Lines tend to be only about as good as their weakest links and we have several weak links right now. Hopefully we get lucky in next years draft and can replace some of those links but we will also need some for the young players we have now to continue to develop and get better.

Too many people on here are willing to just make excuses rather than demand change. I'm tired of excuses. I'm tired of losing. And I'm tired of getting blown out on our home field. For those that blame the players - I blame the execs that brought those players here in the first place. For those that blame the head coach, I blame the person that brought the head coach here in the first place. For those that blame the GM, I blame the person that brought the GM here in the first place. This team will more than likely finish 4-12 or 5-11. I place the blame on Clark Hunt and Scott Pioli.
    SHUT IT

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

Hunt and Pioli are to blame. First hunt for being a tightwad,money hungery fool. I`m not saying break the bank but sign good FA`s. We havent been,aka Sabby. It seems year after year we bring up the rear in spending and now with 1st line hurt it shows.
    Pioli has had 3 years. Granted not the longest time but we shouldbe better than we are. Makes me wonder if it was all bellycheat and the rest were just tag a longs.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Too many people on here are willing to just make excuses rather than demand change. I'm tired of excuses. I'm tired of losing. And I'm tired of getting blown out on our home field. For those that blame the players - I blame the execs that brought those players here in the first place. For those that blame the head coach, I blame the person that brought the head coach here in the first place. For those that blame the GM, I blame the person that brought the GM here in the first place. This team will more than likely finish 4-12 or 5-11. I place the blame on Clark Hunt and Scott Pioli.
    So now, after we have lost all those vital players for the year, NOW, you are predicting 5-11?

That was what I was expecting before they played a single game this season.

That is what I was expecting before Charles and Berry were injured.

So, for me, they are kind of ahead of schedule, since the injuries should have cost us another game, or two.

Do I blame the staff for it?

Sure, To a degree.

But, for the most part, I am blaming circumstance. We were over-confident after 10-6 from 2010, and we would need to figure out that we still had a lot of work to do.

I figured we would be knocked out of the playoffs by now, and, without the shiny prize to distract us, we could get our focus back, and resume the work on improving our game.

I figured it would take a while before the offense started to mesh with the new OC.

I just don't see anything that I was not prepared to see.

The two blow-outs to start the season were a bit of a shock. But not completely mind-boggling. Several teams started out not looking like they were supposed to, and have kind of pulled it together after bizzare starts.

And, beyond that, we have The Doplhins game.

One game, where both sides of the ball failed. And the offense has continued to perform poorly.

I don't see how that could shock anyone. Jamaal Charles is a truly unique talent, who succeeds where other good players would fail.

Thomas Jones looks like a loser in this offense, yet we all know better. Larry Johnson looked like a talentless hack, and JC came right in and started having big game, after big game.

When you remove that guy from your operations, there is no way to be surprised by some serious struggles.

I am not making excuses. I would have to think highly of Pioli, or Haley, to bother making excuses. And I do not.

I am simply pointing the reasons for it all, as I see it.

I'm as unhappy about this season as anyone. But I simply can't go along with the notion that Pioli and/or Haley need to go because of it.

The combination of the strike and the injuries to some of the best players we have has been devastating. The injuries we had in preseason and the first couple of weeks were bad enough and now we lose Cassel. WHAT A MESS!

IMO Haley should be back next year....but he should be back with the understanding that his job is on the line.

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

after last years 10-6 year,against sub-500 teams people should have known we wernt ready just yet to play with the big boys.
    But playing packers,pats,ect will make you better then playing sub-500 teams. We just dont have the players yet.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Don't you blame Lamar Hunt for bringing the team to KC, giving birth to Clark and then getting old and dying, too?

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    So now, after we have lost all those vital players for the year, NOW, you are predicting 5-11?

That was what I was expecting before they played a single game this season.

That is what I was expecting before Charles and Berry were injured.

So, for me, they are kind of ahead of schedule, since the injuries should have cost us another game, or two.

Do I blame the staff for it?

Sure, To a degree.

But, for the most part, I am blaming circumstance. We were over-confident after 10-6 from 2010, and we would need to figure out that we still had a lot of work to do.

I figured we would be knocked out of the playoffs by now, and, without the shiny prize to distract us, we could get our focus back, and resume the work on improving our game.

I figured it would take a while before the offense started to mesh with the new OC.

I just don't see anything that I was not prepared to see.

The two blow-outs to start the season were a bit of a shock. But not completely mind-boggling. Several teams started out not looking like they were supposed to, and have kind of pulled it together after bizzare starts.

And, beyond that, we have The Doplhins game.

One game, where both sides of the ball failed. And the offense has continued to perform poorly.

I don't see how that could shock anyone. Jamaal Charles is a truly unique talent, who succeeds where other good players would fail.

Thomas Jones looks like a loser in this offense, yet we all know better. Larry Johnson looked like a talentless hack, and JC came right in and started having big game, after big game.

When you remove that guy from your operations, there is no way to be surprised by some serious struggles.

I am not making excuses. I would have to think highly of Pioli, or Haley, to bother making excuses. And I do not.

I am simply pointing the reasons for it all, as I see it.
    ...This!

We are who we've always been.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Pioli should stay. Haley needs to go. In fact, outside of Crennel, the entire coaching staff should be overhauled. Pioli just needs to make sure the coaches he hires and the schemes they want to implement are conducive to the current player's ability. Pioli shouldn't be given the green light for another rebuild if they've decided the current rebuild attempt is a failure. A coaching turnover shouldn't require a rebuild.
    Why outside of Crennel? Teams have been hanging some major points up on this defense. Wouldn't he be accountable, just like the other failings of this
    Staff? Or are you thinking his defense is tired from all of our offense's inability to sustain a drive and keep them off the field? Just trying to understand why he gets a pass...

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    I'm as unhappy about this season as anyone. But I simply can't go along with the notion that Pioli and/or Haley need to go because of it.

The combination of the strike and the injuries to some of the best players we have has been devastating. The injuries we had in preseason and the first couple of weeks were bad enough and now we lose Cassel. WHAT A MESS!

IMO Haley should be back next year....but he should be back with the understanding that his job is on the line.
    And this is more or less what I am saying, with the caveat being we'd better see some improvement this year. I will say, again for the 4th time this week, I am not saying either Pioli or Haley should be fired, but I would like Hunt or someone high up in management say, "While injuries have caused us to lose some key pats of our offense and defense, we believe this team is under performing and expect our GM and head coach will be working diligently to get us back on the winning path." That statement would say that we are unhappy with the team play while acknowledging the injuries and let Pioli/Haley know that there ARE expectations and it's time for excuses to go and real progress to begin.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast