Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: David Garrard : a Pioli-type of acquisition?

Default David Garrard : a Pioli-type of acquisition?

I know quite a few Chiefs fans have images of quarterbacks like Peyton Manning and RGIII dancing in their heads, and while most fans would agree that Matt Cassel isn't the present or long term answer, I just don't see Scott Pioli making a big splash by bringing in a big name in free agency or drafting a quarterback in the early rounds.

A player that I have honestly forgotten about is David Garrard. Now, before I hear a collective sigh from you guys, let me explain why I mention him.

I hate to say it, but I believe that Scott Pioli is still determined to support Matt Cassel as much as possible and I think with keeping Jim Zorn as quarterback coach and bringing in Brian Daboll who like Cassel is from the Patriot family tree and more than likely will have a system Matt is somewhat familiar with, Pioli has shown he is willing to stick with Cassel.

Now, Crennel and Pioli have stated they want to see a competition at quarterback, but I don't see the team bringing in a Manning or drafting a RGIII.

I can see Pioli being interested in bringing in someone like David Garrard. Garrard isn't going to likely command much of a contract and at the age of 34 also likely isn't going to be looking for a starting role promised out of the gate. I would think if the Chiefs showed interest, the opportunity to come to Kansas City and compete with Cassel would be attractive.

Also, Garrard brings experience that could also be viewed as a positive for both Cassel and Ricky Stanzi. Plus, and possibly most importantly, I think Pioli would view Garrard as that veteran presence that would push Cassel, but not really be a threat to push him to the bench. I am definitely not saying I agree with this idea, but I could see it being a definite consideration by Pioli.

I definitely don't think there will be alot of interest in Garrard outside of being a veteran backup, and I think he would bring just enough to the table that should Cassel struggle out of the gate, we wouldn't have another Palko situation...while providing the team with a veteran #2 to let Stanzi continue to gain experience.

Last edited by nicfre2011; 02-13-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by azchiefsfan View Post
    I certainly don't think "most" Chiefs fans think Cassel isn't the present or future answer. If people want to throw around their opinions and ideas, I'm all for it. I am, however, sick to death of a few people trying to speak for all of us. And I think very unfavorably of the opinion that Garrard, Campbell or any other of the current crop of rejects are, or have the potential to be, better than Cassel. You want to talk about drafting, let's do it. But to say any of these guys mentioned are even close to as good as (2x Pro Bowler)Cassel shows a lack of basic football knowledge. Just my opinion-I attach no other significance to it and I AM NOT going to try to speak for other Chiefs fans.
    We are talking about QB's to Back Up Cassel

Not the OP.

"I know quite a few Chiefs fans have images of quarterbacks like Peyton Manning and RGIII dancing in their heads, and while most fans would agree that Matt Cassel isn't the present or long term answer, I just don't see Scott Pioli making a big splash by bringing in a big name in free agency or drafting a quarterback in the early rounds."

First paragraph.

Not the OP.

"I know quite a few Chiefs fans have images of quarterbacks like Peyton Manning and RGIII dancing in their heads, and while most fans would agree that Matt Cassel isn't the present or long term answer, I just don't see Scott Pioli making a big splash by bringing in a big name in free agency or drafting a quarterback in the early rounds."

First paragraph.
    in that case... I have to agree with you on this one

Not the OP.

First paragraph.
    Dude you need to lighten up. For some reason you seem to take this personal pal. I am not saying Garrard is Cassel's replacement. I am actually talking about the fact that the GM and Head coach talked about bringing in competition at the position. Point one. And I am not speaking for all Chiefs fans, but after Orton came in an played exponentially bettr than the incumbent starter who is much more familiar with the offense, I think that got quite a few fans thinking about the quarterback position and I do think most fans are not exactly comfortable with the idea of Cassel as the de facto starter for the next couple of years. And I am not saying that I am necessarily on the Garrard bandwagon, but this whole topic is about what I personally think could possibly be Pioli's thinking about competition and what I think quite a few fans could think as competition. Again, sorry I offended you.

gerrald is a third stringer her sucks he had one good year.id rather stanzi start then gerald so make stanzi 2nd string. i doubt they bring in a legitment qb to compete with cassel. i think they will bring someone in to just make it look like it just to satisfy everyone. the only free agent qb that is worth anything that csn push cassel is orton. i dont think we will persue manning and id rather pass on him. also matt flynn is going to a place where he will be guaranteed to start like miami. so if there serious about competition the will resign orton. gerold is not the answer as a back up.

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    We are talking about QB's to Back Up Cassel
    You are correct, sir.

Not the OP.

First paragraph.
    Azchiefsfan, you need to seriously work on your reading comprehensin skills. Did you not read the part where Nick said:

Quote Originally Posted by nicfre2011 View Post
    I hate to say it, but I believe that Scott Pioli is still determined to support Matt Cassel as much as possible and I think with keeping Jim Zorn as quarterback coach and bringing in Brian Daboll who like Cassel is from the Patriot family tree and more than likely will have a system Matt is somewhat familiar with, Pioli has shown he is willing to stick with Cassel.
    ... or the part where he said:

Garrard isn't going to likely command much of a contract and at the age of 34 also likely isn't going to be looking for a starting role promised out of the gate.

Also, Garrard brings experience that could also be viewed as a positive for both Cassel and Ricky Stanzi. Plus, and possibly most importantly, I think Pioli would view Garrard as that veteran presence that would push Cassel, but not really be a threat to push him to the bench.

while providing the team with a veteran #2 to let Stanzi continue to gain experience.
    How could you possibly get that Nick is talking about bringing in Garrard to replace Cassel as a starter from that?

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    gerrald is a third stringer her sucks he had one good year.id rather stanzi start then gerald so make stanzi 2nd string. i doubt they bring in a legitment qb to compete with cassel. i think they will bring someone in to just make it look like it just to satisfy everyone. the only free agent qb that is worth anything that csn push cassel is orton. i dont think we will persue manning and id rather pass on him. also matt flynn is going to a place where he will be guaranteed to start like miami. so if there serious about competition the will resign orton. gerold is not the answer as a back up.
    I'm not sure who this "Gerald" chick is. We were talking about David Garrard. Also, when you start a sentence you can push the "shift" key to create a capital letter. That key should also be used to capitalize proper names like "Cassel," "Orton," and "Gerald," or "Gerold," (whoever that is).

It also makes your posts much easier to read when you end a sentence with a period. And I have no idea what the words "id," "csn," or "legitment" mean. Don't they teach you this stuff in school?
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 02-15-2012 at 01:28 AM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

I certainly don't think "most" Chiefs fans think Cassel isn't the present or future answer. If people want to throw around their opinions and ideas, I'm all for it. I am, however, sick to death of a few people trying to speak for all of us. And I think very unfavorably of the opinion that Garrard, Campbell or any other of the current crop of rejects are, or have the potential to be, better than Cassel. You want to talk about drafting, let's do it. But to say any of these guys mentioned are even close to as good as (2x Pro Bowler)Cassel shows a lack of basic football knowledge. Just my opinion-I attach no other significance to it and I AM NOT going to try to speak for other Chiefs fans.
    To say it in that context is not just an opinion but also an insult to anyone that may think that the aforementioned ARE better than Cassel.

If you think others should not speak for ALL fans, then what gives you the right to speak for anyone other than yourself (us)?

Not the OP.

First paragraph.
    If you're referring to me unless you've gone back and dug up a thread post I have not said that in this thread. Would I agree with initial statement yes, I'm sure we could find one to many other people that would agree with it too. Is most to strong of a word maybe, but many wouldn't be. No one is trying to speak for everyone, so don't get your feathers ruffled.

30 FAs in 30 Days: David Garrard

posted on kcchief.com

Not the OP.

First paragraph.
    I have to ask what you would consider big names? Cambell? Quinn? I mean really there are not a lot out there, orton, Flynn and so on, just wondering

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast