Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's face it.... (post game thoughts)

Default Let's face it.... (post game thoughts)

In order to win a game like tonight's in that venue we needed to:

1- start out of the gate fast. We did quite the opposite.

2- Play our overall A-game. We didn't.

3- Hit manning a bunch of times. We inexplicably didn't! And Hali and Houston were rarely mentioned by the announcers.

4- Get cheap points - kick returns, fumble returns, pick6es -at least once and preferably twice. We didn't.

5- Not allow cheap points. We didn't.

6- Have Alex and the rest of the O, especially the receivers, step up. They didn't. In fact they regressed. D-Bowe ran lazy routes. Avery was a liability, and the rest couldn't get open. Alex was too nervous and gun shy. he didn't look good at all. I was secretly hoping that we had kept our O vanilla all season to suddenly open it up on Denver. So much for wishful fantasies.

7- Have Tony Gonzalez - yes I'm saying this - in the line up. We didn't. Thank you Mr. effing Dimitroff!!!

8- (More to come after I calm down and think more straight)

Let's face it, this team is pretty good but not as good as it's record. Our O has never gelled, and our D is showing slight signs of mortality. Hopefully at least the latter trend could be stopped this year. Let's worry about our O next season if they don't show signs of life then. But I trust, Andy will fix that for next year and maybe then we will fiels a complete team and a legit Super Bowl team.

For now I'm enjoying the overall unexpected success and do not expect us to go far in the playoffs.

I am disappointed, but as mentioned, we were one of 2 teams that weren't blown out of the water by the Donks. But, I have 2 issues: 1) Did we trade our defensive line and linebackers for Jacksonville's in the bye? I hate to say it, but our defensive front sucked ***. It's like they were playing in quicksand. 2) I have been big-time high on Alex Smith, but his accuracy WITH NO PRESSURE was attrocious. It wasn't even a rythm or sync issue, Smith was throwing lead all night. But, for how bad those two areas are, I have to say our O line and Jamaal Charles made me proud. Those linemen and JC could have won the game for us if we could have got some help from the guys who are usually the most consistent-Defense and QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    This is my biggest point of concern. The apparent regression of our pass rush. Either the Os have figured us out or our schemes have changed. I think part of the problem might be the latter. We did all the stunts, blitzez and other stuff earlier in the season and accepted the risks when we had nothing to lose. Now that we had been undefeated we have a division championship to work for, and I think that makes our D less of risk takers. Last night it was quite evident that our D did not want to take any risks and leave the defensive backfield open to big plays. Personally I liked it when we played carefree D and tried to overwhelm the opposing QB.
    Not as bad as it seemed...first manning is the least sacked QB in the nfl this year...between the O line protection and his quick release and football savvy on their part...coupled w/a lack of blitzing on ours this is what u get. I liked the D strategy about ignoring all his theatrics...seemed to work well. seemed as though some of our DBs were having traction problems...I saw cooper slip twice and one other slip and fall. all that stuff manning does at the line is to get the D to tip their hand and show their coverage....he was obviously unsuccessful against the CHIEFS. can't wait to get them at ARROWHEAD where the tables are turned
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    Not as bad as it seemed...first manning is the least sacked QB in the nfl this year...between the O line protection and his quick release and football savvy on their part...
    I wasn't wanting sacks necessarily. I wanted more hurries and hits to soften Manning up.

And as for the protection you speak of, they have quite the patched up O-line against our 'scary' front 7. I know it's hard to defend the 2 step drop that Manning executes, but still his protection is a patchwork line made up mostly of back-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchief View Post
    And as for the protection you speak of, they have quite the patched up O-line against our 'scary' front 7. I know it's hard to defend the 2 step drop that Manning executes, but still his protection is a patchwork line made up mostly of back-ups.
    I would argue you could put a line of immobile kegs on that OL and it would be just as effective as a body with an average release time of 2.3 seconds. Seriously the only way a pass rusher gets there that fast is if he comes unimpeded (hence the argument that wheelbarrows would be just as effective). In fact the one safety blitz i saw go untouched was the closest thing i saw to a sack all game, and that still wasnt fast enough. An OL doesnt HAVE to be amazing 1st round drafters (cough) to look effective.

In fact thats what teams have been doing against us in practice since they saw the film of the titans game. And theyve been putting serious blitz pressure on us since the raiders game (thats all oakland knows how to do and it gets us every time).

Bottom line is the Chiefs didn't get it done on Offense in this game & because of that, they didn't deserve to win. There's no excuses. They shot themselves in the foot and squandered too many chances. That's what it boils down to.

Maybe they can reverse that in both of the upcoming games at Arrowhead.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Bottom line is the Chiefs didn't get it done on Offense in this game & because of that, they didn't deserve to win. There's no excuses. They shot themselves in the foot and squandered too many chances. That's what it boils down to.

Maybe they can reverse that in both of the upcoming games at Arrowhead.
    I agree 150%

If they just couldve done something to help I honestly feel its a completely different game. Receivers were dropping the ball and even though we weren't getting pressure our secondary for the most part did a good job. Especially against that offense.

Quote Originally Posted by iratefan View Post
    I would argue you could put a line of immobile kegs on that OL and it would be just as effective as a body with an average release time of 2.3 seconds. Seriously the only way a pass rusher gets there that fast is if he comes unimpeded (hence the argument that wheelbarrows would be just as effective). In fact the one safety blitz i saw go untouched was the closest thing i saw to a sack all game, and that still wasnt fast enough. An OL doesnt HAVE to be amazing 1st round drafters (cough) to look effective.

In fact thats what teams have been doing against us in practice since they saw the film of the titans game. And theyve been putting serious blitz pressure on us since the raiders game (thats all oakland knows how to do and it gets us every time).
    No arguments there. Towards the end Hali looked like he was getting close a couple of times, Houston maybe once or twice but that was about it. Manning had the ball long gone before anyone had the chance. But even still, it's not like he was posting video game numbers, and was going through a lot of three-and-outs.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    I am disappointed we lost, but very encouraged the way we played. missed opportunity to scored TD w/1st and goal...4pts, funled ball back to Denver at Denver 20yd line, 3 to 7 pts, avery dropped passes probably account for more points..Smith made so poor throws..in other words we really did not play well offensively yet still moved the ball effectively and the defense played well. unless Denver gets some luck bounces I don't see any way they leave Arrowhead with a win in 2 weeks. I still see where we end up 1st and Denver 2nd which again gets us home filed in the playoffs where Denver will again lose
    Good points. With as many chances as the Chiefs squandered combined with the Offensive futility, is that the best that the Donks could do, winning by a modest 27-17 score on their own turf?

Are the Donkeys and the fans delusional enough to think that all their opponents are going to be as forgiving as the Chiefs were last night & not cash in their opportunities, especially in the post-season? If they think that, then they are in for a rude awakening.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12