Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Observations From The Offseason

Default Observations From The Offseason

Hi everyone,

I suppose I should introduce myself in the other subforum, but I think we'll be alright. Longtime KC fan here, but this franchise has done NOTHING in FA to get better. I can buy the build through the draft mentality, but when you bring in absolutely no one to improve the team you are going to be in some serious trouble. Here are some of the things we have all seen so far:

-We have done nothing to upgrade at any position this offseason despite losing some role players. In fact, you could easily argue we are worse in the personnel department.

-"Build through the draft." It seems like everyone wants to do it Seattle's way. That's fine, I get it, but even teams like Seattle and SF brought over some FA and made some trades to improve their team. Marshawn Lynch, Justin Smith, Ahmad Brooks etc..

- The contracts for some of these players is absolutely ludicrous. You are going to pay Dwayne Bowe nearly 9 million dollars a year? Fasano nearly 3 million, Colquitt 3 million, Chase Daniel 2.3 etc.. Very irresponsible spending imo.

Our core guys are getting old. Derrik Johnson is getting there, Tamba Hali, Alex Smith, Jamaal Charles aren't getting any younger. We can't wait until they are past their primes to start winning. This year won't be like last, we won't be playing an easy schedule.

Why can't we bring veterans to play while our young guys learn and get accustomed to the NFL? We have Sanders Commings in at FS, who didn't even play last year.

Quote Originally Posted by NWO View Post
    The point is we haven't gotten better at ANY position and we won't be playing an easy schedule this year. So far, Dorsey's draft has looked a lot like 2009.

We don't even have a second round pick this year which is why we should have added some FA, but due to his irresponsible spending we are watching an off season that was similar to the 4 off seasons under Pioli.

Face it, if we only rely on the draft most of our core guys will be too old to compete. We need FA to help us and so far Dorsey hasn't done jack.
    Not even close. The problem was, the 2013 draft class got bit by the injury bug, except for C Eric Kush and nobody could have foreseen that. And there are no comparisons to drafting Fisher at #1, as opposed to Pioli taking Jackson at #3 in 2009. Fisher was rated by everybody as a top-5 draftee, whereas Jackson wasn't rated in the top 10 by anybody and was a major reach and the rest of those selections in that 2009 were pure garbage and one could easily see that before those players ever took the field. By contrast, Dorsey's selections in rounds 3 through 7, at least they made sense and there's still a chance for them to make an impact in 2014.

Because he has blown it all on stupid contracts.
    $20.7 million on 5 players including Bowe. An average of less than $4.2 million per player including one of the highest paid players on the team. With a budget of $2.1 million for each player on the 53, that's doing pretty damned well. Daniel, Fasano, DeVito and one of the best punters in football...all for an average of $2.93 million each. That's doing pretty well. When you take into account that one of the players is a pretty serviceable backup quarterback it starts to look like Dorsey is doing damned well. Short track record admittedly, but I see nothing to complain about in what Dorsey has done so far.

Bowe is the question mark of course, but Dorsey pretty much HAD to sign Bowe. There wasn't much choice in the matter. Bowe certainly didn't live up to expectations last year, but the flip side to that coin is that Bowe cost us just $4 million in cap space last year. He is going to cost us a TON of cash this year ($12 million) but if he doesn't greatly improve his game this year we can get rid of him next year and free up $3.5 million in cap space. Nope....I can't complain too much about the contract Dorsey gave Bowe.

Can't complain much about anything Dorsey has done so far.

Here is where the real money (cap space) is going this year.....

Eric Berry....$11.6 million.

Tamba Hali......$11.5 million.

Brandon Flowers $10.5 million.

Alex Smith....$8 million

Eric Fisher......$5 million

$46.6 million for 5 players (over 35% of total cap space)....an average of $9.32 million each. And Dorsey had no say in negotiating any of those contracts. (Smith's money was set as soon as we traded for him and Fisher's money is pretty much set by the league.) So $33.6 million for Hali, Flowers and Berry ($11.2 million each avaerage) OVER 25% of our entire cap space for 3 players. And Dorsey had no say in any of those 3 contracts or Smith and Fisher.

That is where all the cap space has gone. Not on little $3 and $4 million dollar contracts like those you named.

Cap numbers from overthecap.com

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    None of these contracts are really that bad. This time of the year if they wanted to create cap space to sign someone it's not that hard to do so. But as I've said Dorsey just not going to dip that much into the FA market he's a draft guy. He just has to draft well.

I think right now we are not far off from where we were a year ago and still have to draft. I still would love to know what we lost that was so great. We didn't bring in anyone great true but we also didn't lose anyone great. If this team is going to do well Dorsey is going to have to find a couple of rookies that can come in and help some. That's the task he has.

As for the 2009 draft comment. Dorsey didn't have a lot to work with in the draft. This past years draft was known to be one of the weakest draft in years. If you are on any other forums the hot guy was Geno Smith many wanted to draft him just so "we can finally draft a QB" I don't think many would still want him. I'm not going to worry about that draft just yet but will be keeping an eye on this years draft for sure
    ]

He had the number 1 freaking pick last year and look who we got.
    Last edited by NWO; 04-29-2014 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    $20.7 million on 5 players including Bowe. An average of less than $4.2 million per player including one of the highest paid players on the team. With a budget of $2.1 million for each player on the 53, that's doing pretty damned well. Daniel, Fasano, DeVito and one of the best punters in football...all for an average of $2.93 million each. That's doing pretty well. When you take into account that one of the players is a pretty serviceable backup quarterback it starts to look like Dorsey is doing damned well. Short track record admittedly, but I see nothing to complain about in what Dorsey has done so far.

Bowe is the question mark of course, but Dorsey pretty much HAD to sign Bowe. There wasn't much choice in the matter. Bowe certainly didn't live up to expectations last year, but the flip side to that coin is that Bowe cost us just $4 million in cap space last year. He is going to cost us a TON of cash this year ($12 million) but if he doesn't greatly improve his game this year we can get rid of him next year and free up $3.5 million in cap space. Nope....I can't complain too much about the contract Dorsey gave Bowe.

Can't complain much about anything Dorsey has done so far.

Here is where the real money (cap space) is going this year.....

Eric Berry....$11.6 million.

Tamba Hali......$11.5 million.

Brandon Flowers $10.5 million.

Alex Smith....$8 million

Eric Fisher......$5 million

$46.6 million for 5 players (over 35% of total cap space)....an average of $9.32 million each. And Dorsey had no say in negotiating any of those contracts. (Smith's money was set as soon as we traded for him and Fisher's money is pretty much set by the league.) So $33.6 million for Hali, Flowers and Berry ($11.2 million each avaerage) OVER 25% of our entire cap space for 3 players. And Dorsey had no say in any of those 3 contracts or Smith and Fisher.

That is where all the cap space has gone. Not on little $3 and $4 million dollar contracts like those you named.

Cap numbers from overthecap.com
    He didn't have to resign Bowe, especially at that price. He leads everyone with 12 million dollars against the cap this year.

Most of those guys you listed are players we need. There is no reason we should be paying a punter, fasano and a backup quarterback almost 9 million dollars. With that price we could have acquired anyone we wanted this off season or a group of veterans to fill key roles.

It's insane.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Not even close. The problem was, the 2013 draft class got bit by the injury bug, except for C Eric Kush and nobody could have foreseen that. And there are no comparisons to drafting Fisher at #1, as opposed to Pioli taking Jackson at #3 in 2009. Fisher was rated by everybody as a top-5 draftee, whereas Jackson wasn't rated in the top 10 by anybody and was a major reach and the rest of those selections in that 2009 were pure garbage and one could easily see that before those players ever took the field. By contrast, Dorsey's selections in rounds 3 through 7, at least they made sense and there's still a chance for them to make an impact in 2014.

Please don't start praising an injury prone, unproven tackle who looked awful this past year.

I don't even want to hear it.

]

He had the number 1 freaking pick last year and look who we got.
    He got a OT that has good potential if he lives up to that potential it will be worth the pick. But there was no big prospect out there in last years draft it was a weak draft class. We had horrible timing in getting the 1st pick what do you want Dorsey to do get in his time machine go get joe Montana as a prospect rename him Moe and draft him
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    He got a OT that has good potential if he lives up to that potential it will be worth the pick. But there was no big prospect out there in last years draft it was a weak draft class. We had horrible timing in getting the 1st pick what do you want Dorsey to do get in his time machine go get joe Montana as a prospect rename him Moe and draft him

Potential based on what? He was rated almost dead last in game by game performance.

Please don't start praising an injury prone, unproven tackle who looked awful this past year.

Fisher was pretty bad at the start of the year but by the end he had progressed and wasn't nearly as bad. He has added weight this offseason which should help. I have questioned how they have handled fisher but he wasn't as bad as many think. In fact someone here I don't recall here posted a chart near the end of last season showing that teams were getting more pressure against our left side (where the so called All pro tackle was) other then our right. I have questions about our line and Fisher no doubt IMO they are setting him up to fail but I'm hoping I'm wrong. But lets not write Fisher off just yet. He did show progress last year. That's about normal for rookies
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Don't care what you want to hear. The reality is there were times he did have struggles, but so did the rest of the guys on the O-Line. In his last five games Fisher didn't look awful & didn't get called for one single penalty and only allowed his QB to get touched 3 times. I know that because I watched him closely via NFL Game Rewind. That's not singing praises to to him, that's what really happened on the football field.

On the other hand, you probably watched the games one time, only followed the football and only noticed Fisher whenever there was a bad play that stood out & of course, are now magnifying it because he wasn't your personal choice of who you wanted drafted.

By the same token, Albert was unproven at LT going into the 2010 draft, and yet, I'll bet you were one of those singing that stupid song of "we don't need to draft Russell Okung because we have Branden Albert, so let's draft Eric Berry".

Potential based on what?
    Potential based him being lauded by just about everybody and their brother that he was the best player on the field during the week of the 2013 Senior Bowl.

Potential based on his size, footspeed, and athleticism.

Potential based on his improvement over the 2nd half of the season, in spite of playing out of position & playing hurt in his first year in the NFL.

Potential based on the fact that he went against a very good series of opponents & wasn't the revolving door that guys like O'Callaghan, Richardson, and Winston would've been and were.

He was rated almost dead last in game by game performance.
    According to whom? Your grandma? If you're basing that off PFF ratings, then you don't have any credibility, as their ratings regarding O-Lineman are pure garbage & never make mention of the series of opponents that these players go up against. The overhead camera via NFL Game Rewind trumps any PFF trash and I know for a fact Fisher didn't look awful in his last 5 games.

He didn't have to resign Bowe, especially at that price. He leads everyone with 12 million dollars against the cap this year.
    Yes, he did. There were no receivers of Bowe's caliber in FA and the Chiefs didn't have any other receivers on their roster & I believe they suspected Baldwin was not going to fit into Andy Reid's Offense. They could not just let him walk & the contracts of Vincent Jackson and Mike Wallace had driven the asking price up to get Bowe to stay. They also could not trade down and draft a receiver in round 1 in 2013, because nobody was trading up.

]He had the number 1 freaking pick last year and look who we got.
    Yup. He had the #1 pick in the weakest draft in decades.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast