Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matt Cassell to the Chiefs?

Default Matt Cassell to the Chiefs?

Just looking on espn.com and saw that rumor running around. Thoughts anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    There's an old saying - if you have two starting QBs you have no starting QBs. If we bring Cassell in, it won't be for a half-assed QB competition. He'll be anointed the starter. And if we stick with Thigpen, we won't have a meaningless open camp between Thigpen, Quinn Gray, and Brodie Croyle. Thigpen will be our starter.

The open competition for a QB spot nonsense never works.
    Leinart effectively went into training camp this year as "the guy", and Whisenhunt quickly realized Warner was the better solution. This is what worries me. What happens when in training camp a new offensive scheme is introduced, one that doesn't exclusively involve shotgun packages, and Thigpen resembles early-season, non-spread Thigpen? Then with no other option available, he throws 25 interceptions and we win 2 games again, OR we're forced to yet again abandon the gameplan and switch back to the spread, further delaying the development of our young offensive players.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Leinart effectively went into training camp this year as "the guy", and Whisenhunt quickly realized Warner was the better solution. This is what worries me. What happens when in training camp a new offensive scheme is introduced, one that doesn't exclusively involve shotgun packages, and Thigpen resembles early-season, non-spread Thigpen? Then with no other option available, he throws 25 interceptions and we win 2 games again, OR we're forced to yet again abandon the gameplan and switch back to the spread, further delaying the development of our young offensive players.
    I agree w/ you... this is the most logical reply I've read in this Thread!!!

Like I've said in the past, we need to have more competition at the QB spot. Most of the people who don't support the idea of getting another QB must be blind or something... It's not that we hate Thigpen and don't want him to succeed, we're just saying it wouldn't be bad if we can add competition to the position... We've seen what happened when the Chiefs put all their eggs in the Brodie Croyle basket, and I definitely don't want to see that w/ Thigpen.

That being said, a 1st round pick would be wayyyy to much for Matt. because Thiggy or Matt could be last years Derek Anderson.

-I say if Tony Gonzalez really wants out of KC and a shot at a Ring, we send him and a lower draft pick ( as long as it's not 1st or 2nd) to NE for Cassell....

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    True about Leinart/Warner. Or about Croyle/Huard, to use a Chiefs example.

But those were cases where the golden boy QB proved to be a dud during training camp, not an open competition between the two. Leinart and Croyle lost their jobs - Warner and Huard didn't win them in a competition.

If we sign Matt Cassel to a 6 year/$50M contract and have an open competition between him, Gray, and Thigpen, we'll be the laughingstock of the league. We want our Day 1 starter getting the 1st team reps and building a rapport with his receivers. We want confidence. You're castrating your new QB before the season even opens by having an open competition.

If Cassell turns out to be a terrible QB, then we regretfully replace him with Thigpen and curse our mistake. That's a lot different from an open competition.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    True about Leinart/Warner. Or about Croyle/Huard, to use a Chiefs example.

But those were cases where the golden boy QB proved to be a dud during training camp, not an open competition between the two. Leinart and Croyle lost their jobs - Warner and Huard didn't win them in a competition.

If we sign Matt Cassel to a 6 year/$50M contract and have an open competition between him, Gray, and Thigpen, we'll be the laughingstock of the league. We want our Day 1 starter getting the 1st team reps and building a rapport with his receivers. We want confidence. You're castrating your new QB before the season even opens by having an open competition.

If Cassell turns out to be a terrible QB, then we regretfully replace him with Thigpen and curse our mistake. That's a lot different from an open competition.
    I'm not interested in a competition either. Competitions are for teams who have 0 good options and are trying to decide between 2 bad ones.

Cassel isn't my ideal guy, really. I'm mostly using him as a reference point because I don't know of any better options off the top of my head. If we ran a west coast offense, Garcia would fit what I'm looking for, a proven veteran who could be a fairly inexpensive short term solution if things don't pan out with Thigpen. Since that's not the case, and I also have no idea what our offense will look like next year, it's hard to name a guy. People are throwing Leftwich's name around, but I'm not a fan.

It's not a very good free agent crop for QBs. Believe me, I don't want to pay Cassel 50 million any more than you do.

If the Eagles have lost their marbles, they may shop McNabb. I know it's not gonna happen but Philly sure doesn't seem to appreciate him the way they should. I know he hasn't won the big one but he consistently gives them a shot.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by hometeam View Post
    Seek I agree with you, but how does that make Cassell a better solution?
    I don't know if Cassell is a better option or even if I want him. He is though a better option regarding the risk of drafting a Qb, since he some what tested. The price for him would have to be right.

There has to be some sort of plan in case Thigpen is a system Qb.

The problem with Cassell will be his price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I don't know if Cassell is a better option or even if I want him. He is though a better option regarding the risk of drafting a Qb, since he some what tested. The price for him would have to be right.

There has to be some sort of plan in case Thigpen is a system Qb.

The problem with Cassell will be his price tag.
    Yep. And NE just franchised him. Its gonna cost somebody a couple first round picks to land him, or at least 15 mil, and Pats can match any offer...
    SHUT IT

The off season is so filled with what ifs and how abouts, gives all us something to talk about. Just give us a Coach!

Yep. now with the franchise tag it will be very expensive to get him. I hope we dont make the blunder~

Quote Originally Posted by kcmostwanted View Post
    I agree w/ you... this is the most logical reply I've read in this Thread!!!

Like I've said in the past, we need to have more competition at the QB spot. Most of the people who don't support the idea of getting another QB must be blind or something... It's not that we hate Thigpen and don't want him to succeed, we're just saying it wouldn't be bad if we can add competition to the position... We've seen what happened when the Chiefs put all their eggs in the Brodie Croyle basket, and I definitely don't want to see that w/ Thigpen.

That being said, a 1st round pick would be wayyyy to much for Matt. because Thiggy or Matt could be last years Derek Anderson.

-I say if Tony Gonzalez really wants out of KC and a shot at a Ring, we send him and a lower draft pick ( as long as it's not 1st or 2nd) to NE for Cassell....
    If we were giving away anyone I would much rather prefer LJ.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast