We now have a little more clarity involving the Chiefs thanks to the Alex Smith, Dwayne Bowe, and Branden Albert deals. There looks to be several different options at #1 for Kansas City in the 2013 NFL draft. Yes, there is still a chance that some type of trade is pulled off with another team, but for now it looks as though the Chiefs will be making the first selection. Here are three options, post Alex Smith deal.
DT – Star Lotulelei
Thanks to his ability to demand a ton of attention, he can make all the players around him better. He is considered to be one of the best players in the draft overall, and his speed and power can alter the passing and running game. He could fill that DE spot on the roster, or move inside depending on other moves made during free agency by the Chiefs and would be worth considering for your fantasy football team. In fact, his stock as the #1 overall pick could still rise or fall prior to April due to other moves.
CB – Dee Milliner
Eric Fisher, Barkevious Mingo and Bjoern Werner are all still in the running to be taken #1 overall, but as of right now, Milliner seems like the slightly better fit. He could instantly pair up at cornerback with Brandon Flowers to give Kansas City a huge advantage there. The Chiefs just need to fill holes in their roster, and the Alabama standout is ready to be an impact player from day one in the right system.
OT – Luke Joeckel
The LOT from Texas A&M has been billed as the favorite at the #1 position for quite some time. He is a safe pick, having no real health issues and being one of the more consistent players in the draft. However, with the Chiefs using the franchise tag on Branden Albert it seems much less likely that we would see the Chiefs use the #1 pick to draft a LT that likely wouldn’t be starting. Branden is only on a 1 yr franchise tag so the possibility of taking a LT is very small, but still exists.
With the Chiefs applying the franchise tag to Branden Albert and signing Dwayne Bowe to a long term contract, the Chiefs now have a lot of options with the #1 overall pick. They don’t have to take a LT, WR, or QB…..but they could. My money is on CB Dee Milliner.
- KC Chiefs Still Being Linked to Deshaun Watson in 2017 NFL Draft - KC Kingdom
- CJ Spiller could be change enough for Chiefs running backs - Arrowhead Addict
- What do the Chiefs really have in DT Bennie Logan? - Arrowhead Addict
- 2017 NFL Draft: Kansas City Chiefs 7-round mock - FanSided
- Is 2017 last chance for Alex Smith to win with Chiefs? - FanRag Sports (blog)
- Chiefs re-sign defensive tackle Jarvis Jenkins | The Kansas City Star - Kansas City Star
- Chiefs podcast: Dissecting Bennie Logan, Greg Lewis and the draft - Kansas City Star (blog)