Kyle Shanahan, Age 32
The son of NFL head coach Mike Shanahan and currently the offensive coordinator for the Washington Redskins. He is the person responsible for RGIII’s development and the brainchild behind the Redskin’s offensive system that takes full advantage of their QB’s skill-set.
Before being the OC for Washington, Kyle was the OC for the Houston Texans and Matt Shaub where, in 2009 his offense ranked 4th in the league. The Redskins currently rank 7th overall and his rookie QB currently enjoys a 93.1 QBR… good for 8th in the league.
Although his age would lead one to believe he lacks experience, he boasts 9+ seasons of NFL coaching experience with the past 3 being stellar work as an OC.
This is from NFL.com:
“The Redskins’ offense has been the talk of the 2012 NFL season. Robert Griffin III has been outstanding, but the design of the Redskins’ scheme has been terrific, as well. Kyle Shanahan is getting a lot of praise around the NFL for quickly developing RG3 and designing a creative offense to fit his skills.”
AFC executive: “Kyle is extremely smart and he’s excellent with quarterbacks. He has all of his dad’s qualities and he’s going to be a great head coach.”
If the Chiefs are going to restart again, why not do it with one of the great young talents in the NFL? Create some stability with a young head coach who isn’t too old to grow with the game and perhaps help innovate as the league progresses with the next generation.
There is little doubt that there will be calls for the old fallbacks of Gruden, Cowher, Schottenheimer, etc. but the NFL is quickly becoming an offense-first, QB driven league with rule after rule aimed at doing everything they can to help the offense. The average points per game are on the rise and a young offensive mind who can develop a top 3 overall pick at QB and design a system around him is the way to go when looking for the next Head Coach for the Kansas City Chiefs.
Imagine long-term stability at the head coaching position from a man who can not only anticipate change, but be part of the offensive innovation driving the league. Perhaps Ray Horton would be a nice name to pair as the Defensive Coordinator if Romeo Crennel does not stay in the fold.
- Kansas City Chiefs sign linebacker Tourek Williams - Arrowhead Addict
- Chiefs sign linebacker Tourek Williams, release Victor Ochi | The ... - Kansas City Star
- Chiefs offensive tackle Jah Reid sues former school Central Florida ... - Kansas City Star
- K.C. Chiefs Star Jeremy Maclin Gets Married at Star-Studded Wedding - TMZ.com
- Kansas City Chiefs: Offseason trade talk starting up - KC Kingdom - KC Kingdom
- Locked on Chiefs: Who could be the OTA standouts? - Arrowhead Addict
- Fantasy football 2017: Kansas City Chiefs have 3 of top 50 players - Arrowhead Addict