Commissioner Roger Goodell said Thursday the NFL’s competition committee would consider in the offseason replacing the kickoff. The league previously had moved the kickoff from the 30- to 35-yard line to cut down on violent collisions.
Goodell and Rich McKay, the head of the league’s competition committee, discussed an idea brought up by Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano in which a team, instead of kicking off, would get the ball at its own 30-yard line in a fourth-and-15 situation. The team then would punt the ball away or, to replace an onside kick, could go for it and, if it failed to get a first down, the opposing squad would start with great field position.
- VIDEO: Kansas City Chiefs hold first full squad workout in St. Joseph - KSHB
- Photo gallery: KC Chiefs Fans Attend Practice in St. Joe - Kansas City Star
- San Diego Chargers Scouting Report: Kansas City Chiefs - NFL Spin Zone
- Kansas City Chiefs veterans return to St. Joe for training camp - FOXSports.com
- Central Missouri running back asks for job with Chiefs, gets contract - ESPN (blog)
- The two sides to Kansas City Chiefs RB Knile Davis - Arrowhead Pride (blog)
- Top 5 Headlines 7/31: Chiefs are Dream Destination for Rookie TE - KCChiefs.com