It looks like you have several very high draft picks on defense who look like busts. Here are my impressions, without knowing much about the Chiefs. You guys can tell me if I’m on the right/wrong track.
Tyson Jackson: Looks like a bust. Some one who physically would be ideally suited to play 3-4 DE, but has not been in the least bit productive. Probably makes a lot of money. Some one I’m guessing Reid will get rid of when he cleans house. Am I missing something with him? Does he have any redeeming qualities?
Glen Dorsey: Looks like a bust, but possibly miscast. If Reid brings in a 4-3 DC, possibly Dorsey could excel in that role. He looks like he has an enormous contract. I’m guessing that if they remain a 3-4 team he might get cut. If they switch to a 4-3, the new GM might ask him to take a pay cut, restructure and then compete as a 4-3 DT. Am I reading his situation correctly?
Dontari Poe: My Eagles drafted DT Fletcher Cox one pick later, who turned out to be a stud. Poe looks like some one who could only play 3-4 NT. Does he have the quickness and motor to play 4-3 DT? Reid likes defensive linemen with "motors" who are relentless on every down. If they switch schemes, I could picture him as trade bait. What are the impressions of him?
Tamba Hali: I’m a Penn State grad. Love this guy. He’s an Andy Reid type of guy with the relentless motor. Seems like he could play both 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE equally well. Is that correct? He’s getting up there in age. I just watched Trent Cole hit 30 and fall off considerably this past season. Hope Hali has a little more left in the tank.
Dereck Johnson: This guy seems like a stud, but he’s 30 years old. Does he call the signals on the defense? Wear the helmet with the headset? If they switch to a 4-3, would he hold up well as the MIKE LB?
Justin Houston: This seems like the type of guy that Reid would want to build his defense around. A talented/productive young guy. Not much of a cap hit. Problem is, what to do with him if they switch to a 4-3? Seems too small to play DE, and too much of a pure pass rusher to play OLB in a 4-3. Does he have experience as a 4-3 DE in college and does he have a frame to bulk up 10-15 pounds?
I know that Berry and Flowers are good. The other guys in the secondary need to go? Has Berry lived up to expectations?
- This RSS feed URL is deprecated
- Chiefs receiver Albert Wilson a full practice participant for the first time in weeks - Kansas City Star
- Podcast: Previewing the Chiefs' game against the Buffalo Bills - Kansas City Star (blog)
- Can Buffalo Bills stay in hunt and 7 more things to watch vs. Kansas City Chiefs - NewYorkUpstate.com
- Chiefs center Mitch Morse molded, motivated by brother with special needs - Kansas City Star (blog)
- Kansas City Chiefs surprise with signing of veteran Darrelle Revis - Washington Post
- Three key Chiefs returned to practice Wednesday ahead of Bills game - Kansas City Star