The best QB this year is Matt Ryan, adding 4.49 wins to his team. This number will likely go up as more games are played. For instance, last year Tom Brady added 7.91 wins to his team, Brees 6.91.
This year, Matt Cassel has a WPA of -1.12 and Quinn a WPA of -0.43. This means our QBs have cost us 1.5 wins. That is an atrocious number.
If we have a quarterback in there that has a WPA of 3, that’s a swing of 4.5 wins and thus we are sitting as a 6 or 7 win team (2 + 4.5 = 6.5…hence why I said 6 or 7). This is all theoretical, but I’m just trying to display the power a good QB can have on this team.
The best Linebacker in terms of WPA, Lawrence Timmons of the Steelers, has a WPA of 1.83. If we took Te’o and automatically assume he becomes the best linebacker in the league in terms of WPA (which is very very very unlikely), then we’d assume we’d have 2 more wins roughly. He would basically offset the 1.55 wins that our QBs have cost us. We’re still a 4-8 team.
If Geno Smith turned into just Russell Wilson, who has a WPA of 1.91, then this team has added the negative 1.55 wins that Cassel and Quinn are responsible for and another 1.91 wins from a better quarterback. So 3.46 wins. That puts us at 5-7 or 6-6. If Geno Smith turned into something more, then we’re sitting even prettier.
What am I trying to get at? It’s evident from this that QB is the weakest position on the team, so bad that they’ve actually cost the team 1.55 wins. And by the way if you think Alex Smith is the answer, his WPA last year was 0.60 and this year 0.89. No thanks.
- NFL Standings: Can Kansas City Chiefs Make The Playoffs? - FanSided
- Kansas City Chiefs DE Vance Walker pleads innocence on leg-whip to Ben ... - Behind the Steel Curtain
- Steelers clinch playoff spot with 20-12 win over Kansas City Chiefs - Pittsburgh Post Gazette
- NFL Playoff Picture: How The Kansas City Chiefs Can Clinch AFC Postseason ... - FanSided
- Kansas City Chiefs vs Pittsburgh Steelers Live Stream: Watch NFL 2014 Football ... - Christian Post
- Chiefs lose to 20-12 to Steelers but remain in AFC playoff hunt - Kansas City Star
- Photo gallery: Steelers 20, Chiefs 12 - Kansas City Star