The best QB this year is Matt Ryan, adding 4.49 wins to his team. This number will likely go up as more games are played. For instance, last year Tom Brady added 7.91 wins to his team, Brees 6.91.
This year, Matt Cassel has a WPA of -1.12 and Quinn a WPA of -0.43. This means our QBs have cost us 1.5 wins. That is an atrocious number.
If we have a quarterback in there that has a WPA of 3, that’s a swing of 4.5 wins and thus we are sitting as a 6 or 7 win team (2 + 4.5 = 6.5…hence why I said 6 or 7). This is all theoretical, but I’m just trying to display the power a good QB can have on this team.
The best Linebacker in terms of WPA, Lawrence Timmons of the Steelers, has a WPA of 1.83. If we took Te’o and automatically assume he becomes the best linebacker in the league in terms of WPA (which is very very very unlikely), then we’d assume we’d have 2 more wins roughly. He would basically offset the 1.55 wins that our QBs have cost us. We’re still a 4-8 team.
If Geno Smith turned into just Russell Wilson, who has a WPA of 1.91, then this team has added the negative 1.55 wins that Cassel and Quinn are responsible for and another 1.91 wins from a better quarterback. So 3.46 wins. That puts us at 5-7 or 6-6. If Geno Smith turned into something more, then we’re sitting even prettier.
What am I trying to get at? It’s evident from this that QB is the weakest position on the team, so bad that they’ve actually cost the team 1.55 wins. And by the way if you think Alex Smith is the answer, his WPA last year was 0.60 and this year 0.89. No thanks.
- Kansas City Chiefs: Grading Jamaal Charles And The Running Backs - KC Kingdom
- Photo gallery: Chiefs cornerback Gary Green selected for club's Hall of Fame ... - Kansas City Star
- Dee Ford's 2015 role with Kansas City Chiefs could be decided in next few days - AL.com
- Kansas City Chiefs salary cap scenarios and deadlines to consider - Arrowhead Pride (blog)
- Baltimore Ravens cut Chris Canty, who once visited the Kansas City Chiefs - Arrowhead Pride (blog)
- Kansas City Chiefs 2015 offseason plan: Free agency, NFL Draft, projected roster - Arrowhead Pride (blog)
- Kansas City Chiefs: Latest Free-Agency News and Rumors - Bleacher Report